Your Thoughts, Advice, Suggestions about nexr brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew_ny

Social_Misfit
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good Day my first brew went OK and I learned a lot , I am now thinking about what to brew next

I am thinking about brewing next week and was thinking of brewing this

12.5 # DME Golden

.5 oz perle @ 55 min
.5 oz perle @ 35 min
.5 oz Cascade @ 25 min
.5 oz Willamette@ 25 min
.5 oz Cascade @ 10 min
.5 oz Willamette@ 10 min
.5 oz Cascade @ 5 min
.5 oz Willamette@ 5 min

11 gallons batch

OG 1.048
FG 1.013
ABV 4.51
BU 25.8
SRM 4.2

1 pack us-05 65 degrees till FG

60 min boil with a 11 gallons and add cold water to make up loss
so I will know how much water boils off after this brew for sure

I want to brew something like this to learn about make a clearer beer and getting a good hot break/cold break , cooling etc.

or maybe just something like this

12.5 # DME Golden

1.25 oz Cascade @ 60 min
1.25 oz Cascade @ 20 min

11 gallons batch

OG 1.048
FG 1.013
ABV 4.51
BU 24.77
SRM 4.2

1 pack us-05 65 degrees till FG

I just not sure on what to use for hops here is what I have on hand

Cascade, Willamette, Fuggles, Goldings, N Brewer, Horizon,
CTZ, Hallertau, Liberty, Perle, Mt Hood, Saaz

your thoughts, advice, suggestions

all the best and enjoy the day

S_M

Irish moss at 15 minutes forgot to add that :)

As far as clearer, with the limited xp I've had, 8-10 brews, I've been using Irish Moss with fairly decent results, I've heard from several sources that best results come from trying a variety of methods and products. The clearest beer I'd had so far was a session pale kit, i believe, and we'd used Irish moss and cold crashed it. the irish moss helps get a ton out but man, that cold crash made it crystal clear compared to the others. I'm intending on doing a few brews now with whirlfloc tablets because it has irish moss and some other good stuff and it sounds very slightly easier to use. (not like throwin' a tsp in at 15 was such a labor intensive addition)

Part of me wanted to try gelatin finings on my current superhopped IPA but I was concerned about how it would work with dry hops and I'd heard people say gelatin dulled the aroma in their beer or added a bit of a flavor and I'd decided to wait on that. maybe with something a bit less chunky with veg matter.

Irish moss at 15 minutes will help with clarity.

I forgot to add that thanks for the reminder

my first brew which was my last brew I forgot to add it to the boil so I did the cold crash Knoxs thing

which appears to have worked well

also I believe I pitched way too much so I am only going with one package this time

Part of me wanted to try gelatin finings on my current superhopped IPA but I was concerned about how it would work with dry hops and I'd heard people say gelatin dulled the aroma in their beer or added a bit of a flavor and I'd decided to wait on that. maybe with something a bit less chunky with veg matter.

I have read the same thing so I dry hopped one keg with an oz of cascade I am going to pull a sample tonight to see what is going on

thanks for the replies and I will not forget the Irish moss as I now will be using a brew sheet to write stuff down

all the best

S_M

Back