YOUR own personal life quote.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Wherever you go, there you are..." --Buckaroo Bonzi

What I preach to all of our associates at the warehouse is, Take your time to do right the first time, or else you will have to take more time to do it again to fix it...
I remember pig killer saying that in Beyond Thunderdome.
I inherited two from my grandfather:

I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.

and

Good enough for women we date. (this is especially effective coming from a man who's been married a long tome, as he was and me as well)
The way I was taught by pop was, " I may be ignorant, but I'm not stupid"!
People are down on things because they're not up on them.

If you're gonna run with the big dogs, you gotta learn to s**t in the tall grass
The way I heard this one was, " If you're gonna run with the big dogs, ya gotta learn to piss on the high weeds"!

I think who started this thread. I think it was, Jay

I'm not as well speaking as a man I truly respect. Passedpawn

I try to live by the golden rule. "Treat others as you want to be treated"I don't always match that concept but for the most part it is my nature;who I am. I'm far from perfect

Flip a coin (roll dice or use random.org).
If you wish for a result before looking, then you have made that choice.
If you wait for the result, then it doesn't matter and is good enough.

So says Drom John, who became a homebrewer when random.org selected Continental Light Lager in Patrick Baker's "The New Brewers Handbook" as a random recipe in 2009.
This weekend random.org selected Poulet Sauté Stanley in Mark Ruhlman's "The Soul of a Chef."

Choosing to own "The New Brewers Handbook" and "The Soul of a Chef" were choices that mattered.
Choosing a random recipe weekly is a choice that matters.

Randomly selecting Continental Light Lager was great fortune.

1 - do What ever it takes

2 - someone has to make all the mistakes, to make the rest of you look good !

"If there's a 50% chance of something being done right, then there's a 90% chance it was done wrong."

"It's always something."

Some that I have found myself saying quite a bit over the years.

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented, or motivated, fool"
and
"If it were easy, it wouldn't be worth doing"

The only person you are better than is the person you were yesterday, strive to be that person.

and

When someone asks you how you're doing: Just fine, i'm upright and breathing...the rest is just a bonus for the day.

If somethings not going right, I just remember that one day I'll be 90 and "none of this matters."

First quote on this thread from the Bible:

Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye? 5"You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. 6"Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces. Matthew7:4-7:6

Paraphrased to: dont judge others when you are clearly flawed yourself. Also, dont be offended by what others do. Keep what is sacred to you sacred regardless of how others feel about it.

That's how I read it, anyways.

MINE:

"I choose to be happy."

A Few of My Favorites
"No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world."

-Robin Williams

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively."

-Bob Marley

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new."

-Albert Einstein

"I do not think you can name many great inventions that have been made by married men."

-Nikola Tesla

First off, two of my own that I'm kinda proud of...

1 - "Deal with what is." In other words, don't waste time and energy wishing things were different - better job, more pay, etc. At this time, in this place, that is not reality. You have to deal with life as it is. If you don't like it, work to change it in the future - look for a better job that pays more, if necessary, get the education to get that better job, etc.

2 - "I reserve the right to be wrong." This one is pretty self-explanatory.

...and then my all-time favorite quote and IMHO, words to live by.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
— Robert Heinlein

I was working on the book on home brewing I just came up with the other day, & was reminded of a notice mom had posted above the wall phone at home...
be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear!!! Some trollers around here would do well to remember this one...:mug:

"Always look on the bright side of life."

Dang it! That was Eric Idle not me.

This is all I need in my life wrt personal philosopy. I've been toting and reciting parts of this most of my life.

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious
to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter, for always
there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment;
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore, be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.

And whatever your labors and aspirations
in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.​

Yes, the Desiderata! I have this hanging on my wall.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got!

"You can observe a lot just by watching" ~ Yoggi Berra

"It is what it is"

"If you are focused on your past failures you cannot focus on future successes."

"In heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here. And when we are gone from here, our FRIENDS will be drinking all our beer!!"

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

To Alcohol! The cause of and solution to all of life's problems!

Wait, that wasn't me - that was Homer Simpson.

MINE:

"I choose to be happy."

A Few of My Favorites

-Robin Williams

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively."

-Bob Marley

-Albert Einstein

"I do not think you can name many great inventions that have been made by married men."

-Nikola Tesla

Man. You named some pretty great m

MINE:

"I choose to be happy."

A Few of My Favorites

-Robin Williams

-Bob Marley

-Albert Einstein

-Nikola Tesla

Man. You named some pretty great scientist and leaders.

What I preach to all of our associates at the warehouse is, Take your time to do right the first time, or else you will have to take more time to do it again to fix it...

I used to tell my soldiers "slow is fast"

In other words, Slow is accurate. Accurate is fast. Therefore slow is fast.

You can imagine in the Army we used to get dumb tasters. So I used to tell them we had to do something dumb but I swear, when I am king, everybody gets a brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Mike Galati used to work on my sport coupes/tuners at his shop in North Olmsted. He's a multiple SCCA C-production national champ & world touring champ as well. He always told me, " Stay cool, go fast"! I found this to be true, winning Division II GTP championship locally in Semi-pro slot cars. I mean the 1/24th scale hand made & tuned to the Nth degree cars. Being a touring pro isn't what a lot of people think it is. 3-time World champion Jan Limpach was our under the table tire sponsor. We wore his shirts & got custom diameter slicks from him. Cool thing is/was he drives a black Carrera just like Steve Mcqueen drove at the beginning of the movie Lemans! He was another stay cool, go fast guy. Taught us a lot about tuning chassis.

here's one my dad used to tell me when I was a kid, "This is your butthole before prison *, this is your butthole after prison O." I've never been to prison.

I'd say that's good advice.

Sent from my magic box, using only my thumbs.

Back