Your Optimal IBU

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what is your opitimal IBU

• 0-10

• 11-20

• 21-30

• 31-40

• 41-50

• 51-60

• 61-70

• 71-80

• 81-90

• more than 90

Results are only viewable after voting.
MisterTipsy said:
I already have all the useful answers I need. You not finding any meaning in the poll is your problem. Not mine.

Will you be willing to share the nuggets of wisdom you've attained from your survey?

I would have expected the 90+ to get a lot more votes. Seems like people are going nuts over huge IBU double IPAs right now.

That said, I voted 41-50. I like an ESB on the high end of the range for IBUs but also with a lot of crystal malts so it's still on the malty side.

51-60, just to be above par!

Granted my brews have been much lower due to the BMC family and friends...I guess I just need to stop caring and succumb to the fact that I will have to drink both cases of my next beer by myself.

Saying that out loud makes me realize...there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

As useless as everyone seems to think this thread is, there's a definite trend developing after 80 votes. That and you have to admire the OPs persistent attitude ;)

This is the most important beer thread of all time!

images

You better vote since you know your Optimal IBU.

I feel sorry for the people who don't have one.

You feel sorry for me? That actually made me LOL.

Here's the thing- I LOVE beer. Love it. There are one or two styles I don't care for- notably sours and Belgian dubbels.

But I like my beers to taste balanced. Today, I've had an IPA, a rye pale ale, and an excellent cream ale. The IPA is about 75 IBUs, the rye is 34 and the cream ale is 13. I love all of those beers, and enjoyed them thoroughly. I'll probably repeat them all, in reverse order, if the kegs aren't empty by the end of the evening.

So you tell me- which is my "optimal IBU"? :D

My answer is "the one that is correct for the style" but that isn't one of my choices!

Beer is about balance- even IIPAs are balanced. The lightest American lager is balanced. They are both excellent beers.

Yes, that's right. Life is too short not to have an Optimal IBU. Once you settle on your Optimal IBU, everything else falls into place.

I'm related to Black Elk who wrote:

Life is a Circle
By Black Elk ~ Oglala Sioux ~1863-1950

Everything the power of the world does,
is done in a circle.

The sky is round
and I have heard that the earth
is round like a ball,
and so are all the stars.

The wind in its' greatest power whirls.
Birds make their nests in circles;
for their's is the same religion as ours.

The sun comes forth and
goes down again in a circle.
The moon does the same
and both are round.

Even the seasons form a great circle
in their changing
and always come back
to where they were.

The life of a man is a circle,
from childhood to childhood.
and so it is with everything
where power moves.

---------

but I still heed the words of the Hopi

You feel sorry for me? That actually made me LOL.

Here's the thing- I LOVE beer. Love it. There are one or two styles I don't care for- notably sours and Belgian dubbels.

But I like my beers to taste balanced. Today, I've had an IPA, a rye pale ale, and an excellent cream ale. The IPA is about 75 IBUs, the rye is 34 and the cream ale is 13. I love all of those beers, and enjoyed them thoroughly. I'll probably repeat them all, in reverse order, if the kegs aren't empty by the end of the evening.

So you tell me- which is my "optimal IBU"? :D

My answer is "the one that is correct for the style" but that isn't one of my choices!

Beer is about balance- even IIPAs are balanced. The lightest American lager is balanced. They are both excellent beers.
You are Yooper, so you must be correct.

I equate my taste in beer to my taste in music: absolutely random and dependent on my mood.

Today I feel like an IPA. Tomorrow whilst hungover, I'll feel like a cream ale.

"The one correct for the style" is all too true, but today...definitely 50+. That and...what is the IBU for Casal Garcia? Not too sure how bitter Vino Verdhe is...

Cheers!!

You better vote since you know your Optimal IBU.

I feel sorry for the people who don't have one.

This is the best response yet in this thread. LOL

Personally, I'm looking forward to the sequel, "What is your Optimal OG?" thread. Then, you can really feel sorry for me.

I like the poll.

Initially, I thought, "That's silly, it depends on the beer." Then I thought, "The beers I've made so far have mostly fallen in the 30-40 range. I rarely enjoy beers with IBUs beyond that, and I rarely drink styles that have less." Then I thought, "My foot itches," and I scratched my toe. Relieved, I then voted.

We all (at least, so far) seem to be cognizant of the fact that a beer's "Optimal IBU" depends strongly on the style. It's good that this was pointed out early in the thread, because that will prevent misleading noobs. However, the question is different. "Your Optimal IBU" is a bit hard to define, but I think the concept generally being used by those not complaining about the poll is quite simple. "In which IBU range are you most likely to enjoy a beer?" I'd expect that most (but maybe not all) people, even those who appreciate and enjoy a wide variety of styles, could identify a favorite, even if it's not strongly favored over others.

It's not a bad poll simply because it's not the question you thought it was asking. If you don't think it's an interesting question, fair enough, but others seem to find it an interesting question as it is.

Now, as to the OP's antics... I can only say, "Kumquat whirly-gig robble robble zanzibar."

This is the best response yet in this thread. LOL

Personally, I'm looking forward to the sequel, "What is your Optimal OG?" thread. Then, you can really feel sorry for me.

Mine is 1.060.

OG = 1.060
FG = 1.010
IBU = 38

Perfect beer right there and it conveniently fits several styles for those who must conform to a style.

P.S. - the Optimal Color of beer is orange or the lighter side of Amber.

Mine is 1.060.

OG = 1.060
FG = 1.010
IBU = 38

Perfect beer right there and it conveniently fits several styles for those who must conform to a style.

P.S. - the Optimal Color of beer is orange or the lighter side of Amber.

Is that with MO or domestic 2-row?

You are no fun.

My question shouldn't cause concern. It was harmless. It was a valid question as there are different types of LME.

Oh well.

Latest posts

Back