Your first self-made recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downhillfromhere

Reaction score
Thought this could be an interesting post. What was the 1st recipe you came up with on your own? What was it, how did it turn out?

I just wrote up a basic Xtra Pale Ale Recipe using some things I wanted to try out. The thought being I love IPAs but wanted something with the hop character to it, but a little more sessionable. You can come home at the end of the day, have a couple, and not drink a whole meal. I love me some Citrusy hops so this should be the playbook on that!

Self Made XPA:rockin:

Estimated 5%abv
5gal
Wyeast 1056 (building a starter for my Rye Dark DIPA)

8lbs American Organic 2 Row
1lb Vienne Malt
.5lb CaraPils
.5lb Honey Malt

.5oz Cascade 1st Wort
.5oz Columbus 60min
.7oz Amarillo 20min
1.25oz Cascade 0min
Dry Hop Cascade-maybe, we'll see how the hop character is

my 1st recipe was my 2nd beer.

i wanted to make a christmas ale. i forgot the recipe, it was something like:

1.065 worth of DME
some C60, some Special B, some honey malt

amarillo, bitter orange peel, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg.

it wasn't very good

I don't remember my recipe at all it was a long time ago. Third batch I believe. Anyway, I think it was a chocolate stout and I don't remember it being very good. Too many specialty malts and too much of them.

My first was my "International Fuggles Bitter." It turned out pretty good. But, I think I need to balance out the complexities in the malt with complexities in the hops. It does taste good, but because it is a mixed malt single hop beer, it really makes the hops stand out. But, I love fuggles.....

My first self-made recipe was an attempt at cloning Fullers 1845. It turned out okay. Close, but not as close as I would have liked.

My House Pale was my first all original. I love the way the American and European hops work together. Character malts contribute to good mouthfeel, body, and complexity while remaining simple and sessionable.

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.82 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6.82 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.82 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %

Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge 153.0 F

boil volume of 4.65 gal

Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.058

60 min 0.50 oz Warrior [17.00 %] (60 min) Hops
60 min 0.60 oz Saaz [6.80 %] (60 min) Hops
30 min 0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops
30 min 0.50 oz Tettnang [3.90 %] (30 min) Hops
10 min 0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
10 min 1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
5 min 0.25 oz Tettnang [3.90 %] (5 min) Hops
5 min 0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops

final volume of 5.50 gal
American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Starter

Starting Gravity: 1.049 SG
Final Gravity:1.012 SG
5.50 gal

My first was an amber where I went ape with crystal malts. I think it was somewhere around 30% crystal malts. Terrible.

Awesome thread. My first self made was my 2nd batch as well. The goal was a brown ale with maple syrup. In Papazian's book, he talks about adding at least a gallon of maple syrup. I thought that was a little much, so I toned it back to a half gallon. Holy crap! It was so freakin strong in flavor and alcohol. The OG was 1.078!

5# Amber DME
.5# crystal 120
.5# chocolate malt
.5# aromatic
2qts Maple Syrup (15min boil)

I still have one bottle left (two years old now). As it aged, it actually got really delicious - very imperial stout-like.

My first one was a dry stout (about my 8th brew).
I was going to make it from a published recipe, but I didn't have the ingredients. I did however have a bunch of leftovers, so I made wholesale substitutions (without taking notes) and brewed.
It was fantastic, but by the time I realized how good it was, I couldn't remember the recipe. I tried to reproduce it many times without any luck. (The attempted reproductions were my 2nd - 8th attempts, and none of them was any good.)

-a.

Back