Your first Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first was a Munton's Kit - Dockland's Porter. It was just okay to me. Others seem to like it. But it definitely got me hooked. From there I moved onto Extract & steeping grains, which led to PM and I'm about to leap to all grain here shortly...

Mine was kit from my LHBS, the home fermenter center in eugene, it was an IIPA using steeped grains, lots of whole hops, and extract. It would've been fine but I let the extract (not the canned sort) sit for too long before I brewed and the beer was sour. mental note: old ingredients = sour beer.

My first was Munton's kit+kilo wheat beer. It was ok. My extended family liked it better than I did. I was hooked anyway...and determined to learn how to brew better beer!

My first beer and only beer(if you can call it that) was a Muntons Nut Brown Ale kit, just dump and add yeast. I am in the process of getting all set up to do a few boil kits then i will step up to all grains. I will be picking up the Corny set up next week and then i have o gt the cooker.

:mug: My first brew was a Terminater Stout clone, which was my favorite microbrew at the time. I got the recipe from Bader Wine and beer supplies site. A steeping grain and extract. All my co-workers, brother,nephew, and friends swore it was one of the best beers they had tasted. Been tweaking the recipe with different grains for a little variation instead of flaked barley, I have used flaked oats, added a little chocalate malt,coffee malt,or a little of both. Great recipes on that site!:mug: :tank: :ban:

Coopers Real Ale kit, came with the brewing equipment. Just the can and a kilo of sugar with the included dry yeast. It actually worked and I got good carbonation so I bought the yuengling clone from AHS and a glass carboy to rack it. So far so good....

Boil water, add these, sprinkle dry yeast, let sit for 2 weeks, bottle. It wasn't very good and had a lot of harsh tones in it, but it might be that we drank it within 2 months of it being bottled.

DSCF1285.jpg

My first is currently in the primary. It's Big Bens Pale Ale from Midwest. Not to confident that it's turning out okay but if it doesn't........I'm willing to dust it off and try an IPA. <---------My Favorite. :D

My first was a Russian Imperial Stout extract with steeping grains recipe from the LHBS. 12lbs of syrup and 5 lbs of grain. Knowing what I know now, I would have chosen something a little simpler ( and faster :) ) for my first.

Mine was an extract pale ale from More Beer. It came with specialty grains and what I had read before that brew had mentioned nothing about them. So I just tossed them into the boil with the extract..... We live, we learn. Honestly, that brew was still hella better than the swill I had been drinking previously if for nothing more than the fact I made it myself:mug:

My first was Brewers Best Classic English Pale Ale. I totally rushed it and had it in the keg in about 2 weeks. It was ok but definitely needed another couple weeks conditioning. Taste good now. That was about a month ago. I now have an american nut brown ale in the seconday and will be brewing a scotch ale for my third batch this weekend.

1st beer... looking back it's pretty funny, even though it wasn't more than a year ago. It was a 10 gallon batch of all-grain lager, with a recipe I created myself. I thought I was creating a particular German style, but in retrospect it didn't really fit well into any style with the hop types and schedule. I used a freshly constructed 3-tier keggle system, temperature controlled freezer for fermentation and lagering, and I saved wort for bottle carbonation!

After waiting 9 weeks, it actually turned out pretty good. I took it to a community party and the bottles pretty much disappeared. So for any first timers out there who've thought about just diving in head first (it takes a lot of research and studying)... I did and think I'll be doing this for a long time.
:mug:

Back