Your favorite stout yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaguaroMan

Reaction score
I was thinking of making a milk stout for one of my next brews (chocolate mint or chocolate raspberry specifically) and was wondering what everybody's favorite yeast to use for stouts is, and why.

I've never brewed one before but have used WLP001 and US05 with good results for my Pale Ales/IPAs. I haven't tried any English strains as of yet though.

Your thoughts?

Pitched US-05 in my Milk Stout last night. Turned out really good the last 2 times so I'm sticking with it for now

I've always used 1098, but since I have around 40gal of stouts on deck, I might also try 002

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Depends on the stout.
WLP002/WLP005, WY1098, WY1318 works well too. I've heard good things about WY1275.

Wy1028or wlp013 is very good for dark beer when you want the roasted flavor to shine.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Home Brew

I second this, and I think it would work well in sweet stout because it will emphasize chocolately/coffee character rather than add fruitiness like the Fuller's strain and many other english yeasts. You want some roast in a sweet stout for balance and drinkability.

Another vote for US-05. It finishes so clean so I get all the flavors from my grains and hops.

Planning to make my first milk stout this weekend, and the guy I'm brewing with (who's done this countless times) swears by S-04 in this style.

Back