Your experience with WLP007?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingfinbar

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm gonna be brewing sort-of DFH 90 minute clone. I'm looking at about a 1.085 OG, mashed low and slow for max fermentables.

I don't have oxygenation capabilities, but I will shake the dirt outta the fermentor. I do have decent (swamp style) control over my ferm temps, and I will be making one big mofo of a starter with the yeast prior to pitching.

Anything I should expect from this yeast? I hear it goes hard, then drops out for the last few points...any tips for temperature, or anything really?

The yeast is solid...007 might take the fg a bit too low actually for a clone but it should take this close....The flavor I find is pretty good and the esters are mild unless it gets a bit warm and then you will start to taste them. I've used this to ferment up to 15+% with good results...

I would go wlp005 for a 90 clone, wlp007 will take it pretty low especially if you mash low. Also, DFH 90 is in my opinion a sweeter example of an IPA and not a dry "West Coast" style IPA. I would leave it with some body to it.

I would ferment in the low to mid 60's to keep the esters down. Then raise it into the upper 60's low 70's at the end to clean up any diacytle / acetaldyhyde

It's an english strain. It's gonna have more character then a clean american strain. It will also floc much better. For an english strain 007 is a good attenuator. I'm a big fan of 007. As long as you ferment in the low to mid 60's it makes some awesome beer. Starting out warm gives too much fruity flavor for my taste.

Keep a close eye on the ferment temp. In my experience with OG's in the 1.070 range, 007 ferments get really hot really quickly. I also notice it chews the 1.070 beers down to below 1.010 within 5 days. If you've had an Arrogant Bastard (who hasn't?) then you will have a great idea of the yeast character.

I posted an issue i recently had with WLP007 here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/poor-attenuation-wlp007-330711/

My hope that transferring to a secondary would rouse the yeast enough to drop the gravity more proved unsuccessfully. I'm currently doing a 1.075 batch of double IPA with yeast i harvested from the aforementioned beer. I'm fermenting that at 66. Hopefully the first beer was just a fluke.

Back