Young's Definitive Bitter - dried malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomsimmons

Reaction score
The instructions suggest replacing "some of the additional sugar with dried malt extract" for a fuller body.

I'm assuming "additional sugar" is the 1Kg of sugar added to the wort and hot water at the beginning rather than the teaspoon of sugar added to the bottle?

How much is some, 50%?

Tom

Yes, that is what they mean- replacing the simple sugar with dry malt extract. Sugar thins and dries the beer providing alcohol but no body or flavor. Malt extract is just that- real dried malt liquid that is reconstituted into the liquid that makes beer.

You can use 100% malt extract instead of the sugar. The type of kit you're using sounds like a "kit & a kilo"- where a kilo of sugar is used because it's far cheaper than a kilo of malt extract.

@Yooper Thanks for the quick reply.

It's my first time making.

I only purchased 500g of Spray Malt Dark, but I also have 1Kg of brewing sugar (dextrose) or a shed load of granulated sugar from making elderflower champagne. What would you recommend, all of the malt and 500g of brewing sugar?

Its says to use granulated, but from what I have read, brewing us better.

Tom

Last edited:
@Yooper Thanks for the quick reply.

It's my first time making.

I only purchased 500g of Spray Malt Dark, but I also have 1Kg of brewing sugar (dextrose) or a shed load of granulated sugar from making elderflower champagne. What would you recommend, all of the malt and 500g of brewing sugar?

Its says to use granulated, but from what I have read, brewing us better.

Tom

Yes, if you only have 500 g then I'd use that and use 500 g of the brewing sugar (dextrose).

Latest posts

Back