Young's Bitter never cleared

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hmm

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've attempted my first homebrew with a Young's Bitter kit (I know, cheap as chips) and followed the instructions pretty much to the letter, sanitising everything zealously. Primary was done in about 5 days, then I siphoned into a pressure keg, adding a little less than the maximum 3oz extra sugar for the total 5 gallons. After a couple more days in the warm, I left the keg in a cooler place (room temp was the best I could do). The instructions suggest 14 days were required for the beer to clear, but it's been about 4 weeks and any sample I take is still almost opaque. It doesn't come out the tap with a lot of pressure either. I've tried it, but having never tasted cheap homebrew before, I frankly can't tell whether it's drinkable or not. It doesn't taste foul, but it doesn't taste 'right' by any means.

Is there any way I can fix this or should I dump the lot and try something else?

Hmm

Well first things first...
1. Did you use a corney keg? After being stored I noticed I must run a couple pints through to get clear beer. Also if your moving the keg around it may cause cloudy pours.
2. If possible cold crashing helps.
3. I wouldn't dump it, RDWHAHB. Let it sit a little longer.

It has been moved around a bit - I'll try leaving it to settle and taking a few pints out at a time. How do I go about cold crashing a keg?

I tried the stuff again today and it has what can only be described as a deep, marmaladey colour. The taste has improved slightly, I think - more beery bitterness than before.

Back