Young, Dumb, and... wanna work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisroarshack

Reaction score
Hey y'all, my name is Christian and I'm working as a language instructor in France at the moment. I'm on the job hunt now (food jobs, brewery jobs, writing jobs, teachy kinda jobs) and want to hear some criticism on my resumes. I plan on applying to any and every brewery, homebrew shop, and brewpub to at least get a crap job related to beer, but I don't want my resumes to work against me in finding the best match possible.

Could y'all read my resumes and leave some comments on this thread?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hsataesultx72f6/AACT7PROq-PPqf-xVFG47C6Na?dl=0

Anything is appreciated, comments on format and content, career advice, real talk, and silly stories.

Anything is appreciated, comments on format and content, career advice, real talk, and silly stories.

You should consider refining your format:
- Use a maximum of 2 font sizes
- If you're going to use bullet points, use them throughout

The way you are listing your skills, bullet points may be the best way to go. Take a look at some example resumes and see if there is a style you like. There are a lot of opportunities to simply fill out a pre-made template. I'd also consider making a cover letter to accompany your resume. There is some information that you included which would be much better suited to a cover letter. If you are in fact sending it out to so many companies, the cover will allow them to quickly see what they can expect to find in your resume. Some companies won't even look at your resume without a cover letter. Keep it simple. Only list skills pertinent to the job you are looking for and change the cover letter as needed.

Christian, I don't run a brewery or work in a LHBS. I am an academic, so take what I say with however many grains of salt you think appropriate. Your resumes do not present yourself as someone I would want to hire if I did run a brewery or a LHBS. If I was looking for someone to teach English or French that might be a different story. I think you need to show potential employers what you will bring to their organization.
You make beer at home - what does that mean? Won any competitions? taken any wine making/brewing courses? What is your knowledge of micro-biology? Active in any beer club? Interned in any winery or brewery. You need to show folk why they need to consider you for any post you are looking for.
Also... and this may not apply so much outside the academic world but I don't know that I would include a photo. When my college is involved in job searches for faculty (both academic and professional) I think we would prefer to focus on qualifications and not the looks of the candidate.

Back