You Plug it You Plunge It

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very similar situation here.. my SWMBO truly enjoys taking care of me and making sure that I'm happy and content. Granted, while she's tending to house stuff, I'm building garden beds or painting the garage, or refinishing the kitchen or brewing beer(!!), but it's not gender-based roles.. it's the fact that she doesn't have carpentry skills or know how to brew (outside of the basics).

If she asked, yes, I'd plunge the toilet. But not with my penis, and not for "BJ cred", because I get that anytime, anywhere. However, I've never had to plunge the toilet for her, because she's got no problem doing it herself.

Now if only I can instill in her that the toilet paper goes OVER the roll, and not UNDER... then we'll have made progress.

This!

Wow! We are really talking about plunging a toilet? Man up and clear the clog. Your not talking about a 5 year old that has to learn to not use a roll of TP when wiping their ass, this is your wife. Mine drives me absolutely insane every time she sees a bug and loses her mind. I still kill it. (sometimes with that "really, it is a daddy long legs" look-but I still take care of business)
That is what we do for those that we love.

My wife would NEVER ask me to do that. The thought of ME seeing her **** would be too much for her... so it's not an issue in our house.

Now, if our daughter plugged it ... one of us would do it ... just depends on who was available at the time.

My wife would NEVER ask me to do that. The thought of ME seeing her **** would be too much for her... so it's not an issue in our house.

Now, if our daughter plugged it ... one of us would do it ... just depends on who was available at the time.

I'm in your wife's camp. I was mortified when I had to have a sewer problem fixed, and I don't even know the sewer fixing guy.

This is a great thread.

Plunge it.

Is this really the "moral stand" that you want to take?

Let's be honest, men are disgusting creatures, it may well offend our sensibilities less than a woman's to do such a task.

Clearly, she is delicate on this matter.

Practically, men do much more disgusting things for women than this... you know what I'm saying.

On one hand, I could appreciate a woman who would grab the plunger herself. But on the other hand, I can appreciate a woman that finds this gross.

Been happily married for many years, telling the SWMBO No is generally bad.

When I blow stupid money on brewing equipment, she doesn't ***** to me (much), so I do what I need to in order to keep the universe balanced. RDWHAH, plunge the toilet, HANH (have another homebrew) :mug:

I'm in the 'don't be a dick' camp, myself. You should've unclogged the toilet for her, and gone on with your life.

There are only a few things important enough to stick to your guns on even if it makes your woman unhappy. This isn't one of them...

I'm torn. I'd probably plunge the thing for her, but then I'd give her crap about it, or make jokes about it. Technically it's not plumbing unless you are removing/installing pipes or devices. This is more like washing dishes.

It's really no worse than cleaning up after a sick kid. Take a breath, go in there get it done, then come out and get some air. Then go back in and wash the plunger. Then wash your hands. Then ask her if she wants you to make her a sandwich...

A couple of points here...

Did the lady of the house really manage to clog the toilet with feces and toilet tissue? It's doubtful. More likely, she tried to flush a sanitary pad down and it got stuck.

Does she know how to use a plunger properly, in that situation? Again: doubtful, unless someone has taught her or she's had a lot of experience - in which case she probably wouldn't have asked for help.

When many people use a plunger they just mindlessly pump it up and down, hoping to force an obstruction on through. The proper way is to slowly press the plunger down and get a good seal, then smartly yank on it. Rinse and repeat as necessary, and you can usually suck an obstruction back into the bowl and remove it.

I used a toilet in a hamburger joint's restroom one time; instead of flushing, it filled almost to overflowing. There was a plunger setting there, so I put it to use - and after a few tries, retrieved a plastic tube full of quarters. Did I actually scoop it out with the plunger, drop it into the sink and scrub it with soap and hot water, open said tube and dump the quarters out, scrub them too (although they were dry), and stick them in my pocket?

You bet your sweet bippy I did; they paid for a very nice lunch.

Getting back to the subject: if my wife ever asks me to plunge a toilet, I'll do it without even blinking. I'm not worried about who was responsible for plugging it, and I don't mind doing a favor for the love of my life and the mother of my children.

She does know how to use a plunger as she was taught by her father. She is just lazy s nd didnt want to do it because the plunger was in the ither bathroom. The toilet was plugged with toilet paper and not a sanitary napkin as she does not flush those and knows not to flush them since she was taught not to do that.

I think there is someone sleeping on a couch tonight and it isn't the one who plugged the crapper!!!

Or even worse...this:
His-Face.gif

:D :D :D

Wonderful thread. Thanks for making my afternoon all.

My 2 cents: I agree with the masses - clean the clog!

She does know how to use a plunger as she was taught by her father. She is just lazy s nd didnt want to do it because the plunger was in the ither bathroom. The toilet was plugged with toilet paper and not a sanitary napkin as she does not flush those and knows not to flush them since she was taught not to do that.

Classait

In a thread about toilet clogs, am I the only one who finds themself not following links?

I agree with the masses, if you come upon a clogged terlit, unclog the thing. If she approached you and asked you to unclog it, I really do not see the reason to not do so. Heck, you can even show her how its done and maybe she will do it next time. The only time I can see it being a case of being easily turned down is if you are eating, making food, or performing surgery or something that would require you to have sanitary hands.

Women do a lot of things for us men that are not fun to do. And on top of that we do not smell anywhere near as nice as they do for us when doing some other things. If she will put up with my sh*t, I can smell some of hers for 15 minutes.

Also, my advice to everybody. Keep a quality plunger in each bathroom, and own a drain snake. Drain-O is nasty business and most people use it wrong, which can cause worse problems down the line.

the BigHair will usually take care of it herself, but on occasion has asked me to handle it.

which I do, no problem.

when she does it, the way she does it really cracks me up. so dainty about it. like she doesn't want to hurt it or something.

hate that my toilet clogs a lot. I'm in the market for a new one. looking at them in the hardware stores and the standard seems to be "can flush a bucket of golf balls."

sorry, I don't poop golf balls. my standard is higher. able to flush BRICKS is not a high enough standard.

I want a toilet that can flush CINDERBLOCKS

If you are looking for approval to be a dick, you aren't going to get it from me.
Plumbing is usually a guys job. so just get the plunger and get it over with.
If she doesn't appreciate your efforts at plumbing and whatever else you do, that's something you should try to work out with her.
Do you and this gal "got it goin' on" or not?
Does she support your brewing efforts and other things you are into?
If you really treasure her companionship, friendship and love, then you shouldn't
worry about doing a needed household task.

Sounds like you need to go grab your balls from your wife's purse.

hate that my toilet clogs a lot. I'm in the market for a new one. looking at them in the hardware stores and the standard seems to be "can flush a bucket of golf balls."

sorry, I don't poop golf balls. my standard is higher. able to flush BRICKS is not a high enough standard.

I want a toilet that can flush CINDERBLOCKS
I think the biggest problem is that you can't get a good high flow toilet anymore. Toilets are one place where I do not want to skimp on water consumption. If it takes 3 flushes to clear the water, is it really saving water?

I think the biggest problem is that you can't get a good high flow toilet anymore. Toilets are one place where I do not want to skimp on water consumption. If it takes 3 flushes to clear the water, is it really saving water?

I have one of the original 1.6 GPF toilets from the early 90s. This thing is the bain of my existence. I swear it will clog with a single piece of toilet paper. You literaly have to keep the plunger right next to you at all times.

Sounds like you need to go grab your balls from your wife's purse.

Your masculinity must be pretty fragile stuff, if doing your wife a favor would destroy it. ;)

I spoil/indulge my wife in a lot of little ways. Not because I have to, or because she wears the pants, but simply because I want to.

My in-laws' 1.2 GPF 2012 toilet outperforms my 1997 1.6 GPF toilet any day of the week. Bigger isn't always better. There's always just better.

Is it just me or does this seem a perfectly good excuse to go and buy some tools?

My in-laws' 1.2 GPF 2012 toilet outperforms my 1997 1.6 GPF toilet any day of the week. Bigger isn't always better. There's always just better.

We have Kohler toilets and have never had to flush more than once. House was built in 2007 so I guess that's what year the toilets are, or there abouts.

Have any of you ever come upon one of the un-plungable toilets? One in my house has a weird rectangleish opening (longer across than any plunger I have ever seen) in the bottom rather than a round one and for the life of me I am unable to get a plunger seal on it.

Back