You must really like beer to spend that much on brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
"You must really like beer to spend that much on brewing."

Has anyone else heard similar statements?

I'm building a Brew Pub in my garage and when I talk to friends, acquaintances, people at work, eventually I get the "wow you must really..." and there is a little bit of incredulousness to the statement. meaning why would anyone spend $6000+ on brewing.

Really?? I can hand out any of the following responses:

"How much was your 4x4 truck? Almost all 4x4 are recreational vehicles and not necessary for a family. (I've owned 2x Land Cruisers, 1x CJ7, and still have a 42' Willy's)."

What about your gun collection?
How many quads do you have?
Got a bass boat?
You golf every weekend?

Us brewers are not even in the same dollar league as some hobbies, but we still get "you spent how much, you must really like beer ?"

I'm not condemning their hobbies, how come they condemn mine?

I think the hang-up comes from them seeing 30 packs of beer on the shelf for like, $20.

Not that it's right, but screw 'em. Or give them a beer and show them the light.

A lot of people just don't get it.... I think, they think we are all alcoholics who make beer to keep up with our habits I don't think they understand there is a passion for this hobby that goes beyond drinking beer.

I actually think about this all the time. I mean 40 grand for a bass boat? I'll probably never even spend half of that in my life brewing. My homebrewing hobby will always be dwarfed (at least money wise) by my gun collection, and I've probably spent more on one guitar than I've ever spent on grain.

I think one of the things I really like about homebrewing, is actually the value and time that one can get out of the hobby. I find that if I want to, I can always find something brewing related to do every single day. Taking hydrometer sample or cleaning some bottles or kegs, even if it's just jotting down tasting notes I can keep busy doing what I love without spending gobs of money. I also like the fact I can do it pretty much 365 if I want, yeah it's tougher in the winter but I can still do it. A lot of hobbies are purely seasonal, or you have to leave the house and travel a distance to do them.

Simply put they don't see the entire process and community as a hobby. The view the end result: beer in a glass. To many this is the only reason to brew, achieving beer. While local prices vary it can easily become "$X000 for brewing equipment and serving zone" vs "$25 for a case." I've had a couple friends over for a brew session and they quickly see it change from "guy who really likes beer" to "guy who pulls off the mad scientist routine like a boss." It really opens their eyes when they see the process and attention to detail that yields quality results.

I started brewing to save money. It didn't work so well. I'm sure that if I stop buying equipment and only get ingredients it will come around. Problem is self control or the lack thereof. The 4x Perlick 630SS with solid SS shanks is so much nicer than the picnic tap though...

Heard the same thing many times, I just say "I do it to make my friends look better" :mug:

Hmm.. Just a sampling of my hobbies, I have many more to my wife's annoyance.

Ham Radio - Around $3k in startup costs, upwards of $200 - $1000 a year in new hardware and parts.

Music Composition - Around $6k in startup costs, upwards of $600 - $2000 a year in new gear and software.

Jeep - Around $30k in startup costs, upwards of $4000 - $6000 a year in maintenance, parts, and modification.

Powerkite - Around $1k in startup costs, upwards of $200 - $1000 a year in maintenance, kites, and park permits.

Gaming - Around $3k in startup for the bleeding edge computer and a few games. Up to $600 a year in games, and another $1000 in peripherals and monthly fees.

Homebrew - Around $200 in startup costs, upwards of $2000 a year if I brew my max allowance of 200 gallons (state law) in ingredient kits and add ons (if I don't go nuts).

Oh, and that's not counting that Homebrew actually saves me money as I don't buy hardly anywhere near the amount of "craft brews" from the local store.

Homebrewing is actually one of my cheaper hobbies to start. It can even be cheaper than that if I start buying ingredients separately instead of fashioned kits.

(Values are estimates of what I have spent over the years in each hobbies. Not all hobbies have a yearly outlay because I may not have worked with it that year.)

Any hobby that is not mainstream or in the knowledge of the folks saying that (and yes I have heard it about two hobbies) is just ignorance which makes it our job to either educate or ignore them.

I spend about $3-4K a year on 24-Hours of Lemons. It is about 12-14 hours of track time a year for that price which is CHEAP for track time but I do not do it for that. It is the community, the construction, the overcoming obstacles, etc. Besides, what do you think you spend per person on a 12 day vacation?

I spend a LOT less on brewing but my hobby is pretty mature to the point I mainly buy consumables. I am looking to drop about $300 in making and electric brew kettle. I could spend about $1K on building a brew room soon but that is going to have to wait.

On the flip side, everyone thinks I am a genius/super talented/insane for the home remodeling work I do. On average, even having "free" labor, I only get about a 70% return on my investment. No one comments "you spent how much on a bathroom remodel".

Makes me thinking something Les Claypool said about playing the bass: "It's just the crayon I drew out of the box" which I take to mean, "I'm a creative and talented person and I can do what I put my mind to and the bass just lit a fire under me at the right time." (He probably meant something else entirely, but that's just how it struck me.)

I can't really draw a perfect analogy to brewing, but you get the idea.

A reply of "go screw yourself" generally stops the discussion before it starts...

Heh

I always take a friendly approach, most of these people are friends and acquaintances, professional I work with. There just not use to it.

I think Zepth said it best:

Simply put they don't see the entire process and community as a hobby. The view the end result: beer in a glass. To many this is the only reason to brew, achieving beer. ... I've had a couple friends over for a brew session and they quickly see it change from "guy who really likes beer" to "guy who pulls off the mad scientist routine like a boss." It really opens their eyes when they see the process and attention to detail that yields quality results.

It's just the initial condemnation, the original knee-jerk reaction that is annoying.

I dont even drink that much, I just love to brew. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE beer, but I dont even drink a beer a day. Its difficult for me to finish a keg, yet I still lust after that 10 tap system... I enjoy the brewing part of it so much that I just brew and give it away for free. And why not? Like you said, everyone has their hobby. It gives me something to do, something to be passionate about! Plus, the results of my hobby are far more universally enjoyed than the guy who golfs, or the guy who has an excessively expensive truck. My hobby brings joy to others!

I dont even drink that much, I just love to brew. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE beer, but I dont even drink a beer a day. Its difficult for me to finish a keg, yet I still lust after that 10 tap system... I enjoy the brewing part of it so much that I just brew and give it away for free.

I'll keep this in mind next time I'm in South Bend.

I was there a few times last year. I found one of the nastiest and coolest bars I have been to in years there.

i just tell them that the amount of money i spend on brewing is a drop in the bucket compared to how much i spend on hookers and blow. The rest i just wasted.

Conversation usually ends there.....or i get propositioned, it's a win/win either way.

fify

I do often think about what size of a sailboat I could have in a slip if I had invested those dollars over the years instead of drinking them. But what good would a sailboat be without beer to drink on it?
I sail with a guy who lives in LA and keeps a 45 footer in Florida. Just keeping in parked runs about $10k year between insurance, slip fees, and regular upkeep. Then we take the boat up to Maryland in the summer, there is probably another couple grand in food, airfare for the crew, and what ever breaks along the way. This last year he dropped about $20k on top of that for a new engine, chart plotter, wind instruments, and dept sounder. So it takes a lot of beer to equal keeping a boat afloat. So I brew beer and know people with boats :mug:

ISo I brew beer and know people with boats :mug:

I would guess I sail 60+ days a year and still spend more money on beer than sailing. But if I had all my drinking money back I would buy my dream boat and be able to keep in a slip for about 6 months before declaring bankruptcy then would have to take up drinking.

What kind of 45 footer does your friend have?

I often get a similar reaction when people find out I brew beer, especially because I'm a single woman. Typically they first ask me how much money I save by brewing my own, like that must be my goal. I usually don't say how much I spend, only that I'm definitely NOT brewing to save money.

A tragic condition. Have you seen someone about this?

I should probably seek professional help.

In all seriousness, I have a very bad family history when it comes to alcohol and addiction, and I have an impulsive personality, so I just try to over moderate myself. I have never suffered from an addiction, and I would like to keep it that way. Im sure I could moderate myself at one drink per day with no problems, and Im working up to that, but Im very hesitant to form any sort of habit, even if it is a daily drink with dinner, or a drink when I get off work.

I'll keep this in mind next time I'm in South Bend.

I was there a few times last year. I found one of the nastiest and coolest bars I have been to in years there.

Hit me up! Im more than happy to send some home with you. How far away are you from Stockton? Im going to be out that way next month, I might be able to hand deliver some!

Do you happen to remember what bar it was? I know a few that fit that bill.

I would guess I sail 60+ days a year and still spend more money on beer than sailing. But if I had all my drinking money back I would buy my dream boat and be able to keep in a slip for about 6 months before declaring bankruptcy then would have to take up drinking.

What kind of 45 footer does your friend have?

It is Beneteau 456. Here is an article about it http://sailingmagazine.net/article-permalink-532.html The boat I sail on when I go offshore is the boat in the article, owned by Steve Maseda.

It seems to me that home brewing can be as inexpensive as you'd like it to be. Hell you could ferment in one gallon batches in an old wine jar using a brew pot that just about anybody would have around the house right on their stove top. Or use a 5 gallon bucket you got from Lowes for 4 dollars. Some of the kits are economical too. You can brew solid beers pretty cheaply once you get some basic supplies. I'd liken it to people who like to cook. You can go out and get a pretty good steak for a lot of money, but you could make something just as good if not better with a little skill and a trip to the grocery store and it won't cost you nearly as much either.

Simply put they don't see the entire process and community as a hobby. The view the end result: beer in a glass. To many this is the only reason to brew, achieving beer.

I'm new to homebrewing, but I've been a quiltmaker for...many...years, and it's the same thing: "Why would I spend $100 on fabric and cut it into tiny pieces and then sew them back together when I can get a blanket at WalMart for $10?" Well, as you said, the process and the community. Working at making something(s), broadening your knowledge, mastering new skills/techniques, learning to make adjustments to customize the end product, meeting new people who share your interest, visiting new shops/breweries...those are all more fun than sitting around watching TV with your factory blanket and your case of Bug Light.

tl;dr: Some people (us) are makers. :mug: Some people are sitters.

I enjoy many time consuming hobbies; gardening, woodworking, brewing etc. I've gotten that comment on every single one. "Why would I make anything for myself? I don't have time for that!" Then they go on to tell me in exhausting detail all about the TV shows they are into. Yep, hurry through life, take all the shortcuts, get that behind on that sofa in front of the TV. That's livin'

I enjoy many time consuming hobbies; gardening, woodworking, brewing etc. I've gotten that comment on every single one. "Why would I make anything for myself? I don't have time for that!" Then they go on to tell me in exhausting detail all about the TV shows they are into. Yep, hurry through life, take all the shortcuts, get that behind on that sofa in front of the TV. That's livin'

This

Hmm.. Just a sampling of my hobbies, I have many more to my wife's annoyance.

Ham Radio - Around $3k in startup costs, upwards of $200 - $1000 a year in new hardware and parts.

Music Composition - Around $6k in startup costs, upwards of $600 - $2000 a year in new gear and software.

Jeep - Around $30k in startup costs, upwards of $4000 - $6000 a year in maintenance, parts, and modification.

Powerkite - Around $1k in startup costs, upwards of $200 - $1000 a year in maintenance, kites, and park permits.

Gaming - Around $3k in startup for the bleeding edge computer and a few games. Up to $600 a year in games, and another $1000 in peripherals and monthly fees.

Homebrew - Around $200 in startup costs, upwards of $2000 a year if I brew my max allowance of 200 gallons (state law) in ingredient kits and add ons (if I don't go nuts).

Oh, and that's not counting that Homebrew actually saves me money as I don't buy hardly anywhere near the amount of "craft brews" from the local store.

Homebrewing is actually one of my cheaper hobbies to start. It can even be cheaper than that if I start buying ingredients separately instead of fashioned kits.

(Values are estimates of what I have spent over the years in each hobbies. Not all hobbies have a yearly outlay because I may not have worked with it that year.)

KF5WHN, hope to work your station one day!

73s.

"You must really like beer to spend that much on brewing."

Has anyone else heard similar statements?

I'm building a Brew Pub in my garage and when I talk to friends, acquaintances, people at work, eventually I get the "wow you must really..." and there is a little bit of incredulousness to the statement. meaning why would anyone spend $6000+ on brewing.

Really?? I can hand out any of the following responses:

"How much was your 4x4 truck? Almost all 4x4 are recreational vehicles and not necessary for a family. (I've owned 2x Land Cruisers, 1x CJ7, and still have a 42' Willy's)."

What about your gun collection?
How many quads do you have?
Got a bass boat?
You golf every weekend?

Us brewers are not even in the same dollar league as some hobbies, but we still get "you spent how much, you must really like beer ?"

I'm not condemning their hobbies, how come they condemn mine?

The answer is"Yes, I do!"

I spent way more on my Landcruiser than I've ever spent on my beer.

We need to get together Grossy.

Don't worry, that response is not unique to homebrewing. Anytime a person doesn't understand why another person does anything, there is a chance that they will be one of "those people" who inadvertently vocalize their misunderstanding in an attempt to either rationalize with you or convert you to believe what they feel is normal. It's almost as embarrassing to watch as an adult who is undergoing the childlike discovery of jealousy. By the time they realize that they've been wearing the emotion on their sleeve, they are in a hurried scramble to backtrack and defend their position. Do what you enjoy and don't worry about other people.

Latest posts

Back