You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one was recently.

You know you're a homebrewer when you know you need to buy a new motorcycle battery but decide you need to finish the keezer first because, you know... the bike's been running pretty smooth after that 4th jump start. And then you find yourself stuck on the side of the road because the battery died after you stopped to take a picture.

But hey, at least there was some ice cold draft beer at home after my dad rescued me and towed the bike back to my place. Motorcycles/Cars and Homebrewing are difficult hobbies to juggle.

This one was recently.

You know you're a homebrewer when you know you need to buy a new motorcycle battery but decide you need to finish the keezer first because, you know... the bike's been running pretty smooth after that 4th jump start. And then you find yourself stuck on the side of the road because the battery died after you stopped to take a picture.

But hey, at least there was some ice cold draft beer at home after my dad rescued me and towed the bike back to my place. Motorcycles/Cars and Homebrewing are difficult hobbies to juggle.

Well at least you have your priorities straight! :D

John

You're walking on a beautiful beach looking at the sea foam, and say to yourself, "Man! Look at the head on that!" and start thinking about what it is in the water that lets it do that.

Protein a.k.a fish poop. Check out “protein skimmer” on saltwater aquariums. It’s nasty.

Relatedly, I’m on vacation at the beach as well...

You know you’re a home brewer when you’re waking on the beach and it’s a wonderful 68 degrees and clear but the first thing to pop in your head is whether your fermenting beer at home needed a blow-off tube before you left.

Protein a.k.a fish poop. Check out “protein skimmer” on saltwater aquariums. It’s nasty.

Fish Sh*t Salted Ale...
pirate__s_hangover____by_freedaum-d4z35so.png

"You'll Hate Yourself in the Morning"

Lol.

You know you're a homebrewer when your brewery is cleaner than your kitchen...and you don't care. That's why the supreme being created dishwashers on the 17,765th (or so) day. Just finished a fantastic brew day and the brewery looks just like it did before I started...but my kitchen looks like a hurricane just went through it (with no dirty brewing equipment lying around, oh no, that HAS to be cleaned and put away before I consider myself done).

You know your are a home brewer when in a foreign land (China at the moment) you start wondering how you might use some of the seemly odd looking kettles, wood buckets, etc. Also, if you had to live here how would you cobble together a brew kit, find barley, hops, and yeast?

When your looking at moving to a small island and the first thing you check (after house prices) is if you can buy grains hops and yeast... Btw you can :)

Been waiting for this one...you know you're a homebrewer when it's finally spring, and outdoor barbecuing starts to look good...but you don't want to sacrifice your only almost full propane tank to the gas barbecue, because then where will you be on the next brewday????

Been waiting for this one...you know you're a homebrewer when it's finally spring, and outdoor barbecuing starts to look good...but you don't want to sacrifice your only almost full propane tank to the gas barbecue, because then where will you be on the next brewday????

When you have 3 propane cylinders, and you still think it would be nice to have a "spare". (Guilty)

You know you're a home brewer and an engineer when you look at the computer controlled milling machine you are building and realise that adding a suitable end effector in the place of the spindle and it could become a beer bottle filling palletising robot...

Brought a large sodastream cylinder with no intention of ever buying a sodastream machine.

Just got it as a reserve tank in case the big cylinder runs out at an inoppertune time and for portable keg operations

You have 4 taps but 12 kegs and are considering more, just because they look nice and are a good price.

When you clean and find 40 bottles that have been refermenting in some corner for over 2 months and forgot about.

When cleaning becomes more like moving because there’s brew stuff everywhere!

When you invite friends according to how much beer needs to be drunk to make space for the kegs that have almost finished fermentation.

When you have a standard answer that immediately blurts out when somebody asks whether you sell your beer or whether you can brew for some random occasion.

When you’re always late because that beer-thing you were going to handle quickly ended up taking three times longer than expected.

When you can’t have a beer with regular people without absentmindedly making a comment about it and finding them looking at you as though you just spoke an alien language.

When people no longer introduce you according to who you are, where they know you from or any personal reference but just 'the guy who can answer all your questions about homebrewing'.

Etc. etc. etc.

You know you're a homebrewer when you tell your sad lonely clean equipment, "next weekend baby...pinky swear." Because there's nowhere to put more at the moment. I've got six kegs...three full in the kegerator, one half full in the garage because needed room, one empty with a bad lid, and a full one in the brew room hopefully getting rid of diacetyl. And no room in the budget for more (or more bottles either). sigh. Just have to live vicariously through you guys for another week or two. And drink a LOT of beer.

When you say...im gonna only do extract brewing because more equipment isn't really a good idea, then you drop $200 on more equipment, and start all grain brewing.

When you start buying more commercial beer than you did before you started brewing?
Please tell me I’m not alone.

lol I go through spurts of this, usually for research purposes or if I go out of town to a region where there is beer I haven't seen before though.

To not veer too far off topic.
When your girlfriend cries almost as much as you do when the ball valve in your fermenter breaks and dumps half a batch on the floor.

When you're scanning a local neighberhood social media site and see a post mentioning HBT and immediatly think homebrewtalk but it was refering to Hawkes bay today a local newspaper.

This is where an old fashioned charcoal grill (or smoker!) has its advantage.

Back