You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know you're a home brewer when commercial beers are not drinkable anymore and you're disappointed by the local microbrew/brewpub craft brew. I had to smile last time i went to the brewpub because i kept telling the fiance how much better the ale I made at home was. Also at 4 dollars a pint, making it at home is a win win for the homebrew.

When you look back at some things you've written, & say to yourself, why the F*** did I leave that in? And, boy that camera blows donkey butt. 31 years at Ford, & they give me a camera that goes off the market in a year? WTF? That camera is near-sighted like Mr Magoo!

facepalm.jpg

Background:

About 15 years ago my wife and I stayed at a resort in the Poconos. One afternoon we went trail horse riding. As a powerlifting/strongman participant at the time, I was the heaviest person in the group, so they put me on a gigantic Belgian workhorse for the ride. It was a memorable adventure.

Fast forward to last summer:

I'm go motorcycle riding with a couple friends and I take along my wee heavy for them to sample when they get home. The same day my wife takes our daughter to a petting zoo/pony ride kind of place. She texts me, "Remember your Belgian?". I reply, "Scottish". She replies with a picture of our daughter sitting on a Belgian horse.

I have a batch of Belgian strong ale that I like to break out for special occasions. I though that she thought I took Belgians to my friends when it was actually Scottish.

You know you're a home brewer when that happens.

So I've been thinking about getting a Waterpik system for a while now and a lot of the reviews complain that you have to completely drain after each use or mold starts growing inside.

That was running through my head this morning when I thought "what if you filled it with StarSan?". I'm sure it would stop the mold and it would be awesome at killing mouth bacteria but the idea of all that foam made me laugh [emoji16]

So I've been thinking about getting a Waterpik system for a while now and a lot of the reviews complain that you have to completely drain after each use or mold starts growing inside.

That was running through my head this morning when I thought "what if you filled it with StarSan?". I'm sure it would stop the mold and it would be awesome at killing mouth bacteria but the idea of all that foam made me laugh [emoji16]

Water with 5-10% salt is excellent for keeping your toothbrushes healthy

You know you're a home brewer when commercial beers are not drinkable anymore and you're disappointed by the local microbrew/brewpub craft brew. I had to smile last time i went to the brewpub because i kept telling the fiance how much better the ale I made at home was. Also at 4 dollars a pint, making it at home is a win win for the homebrew.

Unfortunantly pro-brewers have to focus on consistency if the beer is selling, while we homebrewers don't. It was probably a great beer a year ago.

Midnight Brett Ale. I thought it was really good. Found myself wishing for a bit more sour thought. Found the bottle date in 2013 so it probably was in their fridge for the last year instead of at cellar temps. However I am still learning about sours so I am no expert.

Any one's wife nearly killed them for getting a $30 sour beer with dinner like my wife nearly did yesterday?

I could brew 2, 5 gallon batches of my house rye ale, with harvested yeast and my home grown hops for $30.

That beer would have to cause spontaneous orgasms for it to be worth $30 a bottle!

I'm with your wife!

:mug:

I could brew 2, 5 gallon batches of my house rye ale, with harvested yeast and my home grown hops for $30.

That beer would have to cause spontaneous orgasms for it to be worth $30 a bottle!

I'm with your wife!

Yea I do not have space to let a Brett strain take its time doing its thing. Got too long of a honey do list to even attempt building a fermentation chamber/beer cellar set up. :(

I decided to move to a new house based on space available for ferm chambers, carboys and buckets. " Yeah honey, you call it a pantry, I call it brewing room." :ban:

I decided to move to a new house based on space available for ferm chambers, carboys and buckets. " Yeah honey, you call it a pantry, I call it brewing room." :ban:

I second this one, currently apartment hunting and I keep looking for a second walk in closet to store my gear.
Cheers!

Originally Posted by @Kirkwooder: That beer would have to cause spontaneous orgasms for it to be worth $30 a bottle!
That could be a very serious, embarrassing and hilarious problem to have while out to dinner.

...I'll have what he's having...

Originally Posted by @Kirkwooder: That beer would have to cause spontaneous orgasms for it to be worth $30 a bottle!

...I'll have what he's having...

So all those special release or most sought after beers people camp out for cause spontaneous orgasms right??? :p

I'm with your wife!

Adding to funny things about beer thread. :rockin:

That was so obvious i didn't think that could be the joke. Or I didn't find it funny, anyway. Maybe you have to be of the ilk that says "Hey, hold my beer and watch this!" to get the humor... :mug:

That was so obvious i didn't think that could be the joke. Or I didn't find it funny, anyway. Maybe you have to be of the ilk that says "Hey, hold my beer and watch this!" to get the humor... :mug:

You have dishonered my family. Blood feud.

Grandmas boyfriend asked when my beer goes on sale tonight. He's 95 and I'm the only one in the family that likes him.

... you make sure to re-hydrate during the day so you can drink more beer at night.

Grandmas boyfriend asked when my beer goes on sale tonight. He's 95 and I'm the only one in the family that likes him.

Including your Grandma?

When you go to Home Depot for some brewing gear (and you tell the people there you're all set because the employees have no idea what you're asking for) and you figure you should probably pick up one or two things for the house as well...

When you get tired of questions when you're buying stock pots, and you just say "Yeah... they're for soup. A whole lot of soup.."

You happen to be near a Binny's (insert whatever store you have that does mix and match) for other reasons and all you can think about is "why just make your own 6-pack...why not make you own case?"

I mean I hate paying IL taxes but I picked us 18, 12oz bottles and cans not available anywhere in IN that I know of...I was afraid to look at the bombers.

When your AC dies in the wee hours of a South Carolina spring morning and your first thought is your beer (no fermentation fridge yet)

Happily everything is past the primary stage :mug:

Back