You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever I use a hydrometer at work I always think of taking a reading for my beer, then realize I forgot to take one! Goodness I'm bad about taking readings.

When you go to the Doctor and have the same reaction to liver damage as you would the common cold.... Sorry... I am Irish..... I will go out with a beer in my hand, the taste of hops on my tongue and a smile on my face!

When you build this for $9

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415580928.559665.jpg

Whenever I use a hydrometer at work I always think of taking a reading for my beer, then realize I forgot to take one! Goodness I'm bad about taking readings.

I'm guilty of not taking an FG every now and then. Particularly on repeat batches. 3-4 weeks primary and keg it. I suppose kegging has made it more feasible to do so as I highly doubt I could package anything so early on that I create a keg bomb. Bottle bombs are scary.

When your wife periodically asks you to clean her ceramic coffee mug (because a 24-hour soak in PBW will clean just about anything).

When you're going away to a cottage with your friends for the weekend, and you're embarrassed to be bringing 2 growlers of a local microbrewer's craft beer (along with 4 bombers of homebrew), because you know people will be expecting you to ONLY be bringing homebrew. And your wife talked you out of bringing your own crystal tulip beer glass, because you just know the cottage will only have plain old drinking glasses.

When your wife tells you: "My family will expect you to bring at least a case of homebrew to Thanksgiving dinner." And they aren't even all beer drinkers. And they are not getting a whole case. Maybe a 12 pack.

When your wife tells you: "My family will expect you to bring at least a case of homebrew to Thanksgiving dinner." And they aren't even all beer drinkers. And they are not getting a whole case. Maybe a 12 pack.

Sounds like my family. I included some of my Jalapeno wheat at easter as kind of a joke... Never expecting that one to be a huge hit with the family. The whole 4 pack I brought was completely drank (and I know they drank it cause they were talking to me the whole time they were drinking it)

When you continually refresh the UPS tracking site for your order to see if it's been delivered yet.

(IT'S ON THE TRUCK RIGHT NOW!!!! ^_^)

I'm getting set up to bottle a batch of BM's Centennial Blonde. I always look through the neck of the bottles to make sure there's no funk on the bottom before I do anything. Usually I'll use the light from the window to illuminate the bottom, but it's 6 in the morning, so I maxed out the backlight on my laptop instead.

You know you're a homebrewer when you can turn damned near anything into a homebrew aid :mug:

When it's cool enough in the brewery/man cave to try some of the beers from the box you just got some from for the fridge & they're good!:tank:

When you make a homemade stir plate for your starters and your wife says "what the hell are you doing now???" I make a lot of little things but a stir plate along with a starter in a two liter flask just sitting around mixing kinda looks dubious!

Keg #1 - IPA
Keg #2 - Dos Borrachos ( Mexican Cerveza)
Keg #3 - Frostbite (Winter Ale)
Keg #4 - empty
Primary #1- Lights out Stout (Irish Stout)
Primary #2- Kölsch
Primary #3- Hefeweizen
Primary #4- Letting off Steam ( Steam Ale)

That reminds me...
We had some company over a few weeks ago. I had my stirplate going with a starter for a beer I had brewed that morning but didn't get around to chilling to pitching temps. The stirplate was on the counter so my wife's aunt asked what the hell that was and how it was spinning itself, so I happily showed her how it worked. She seemed pretty interested but I thought she was just being polite.
Fast forward to this past weekend, she and more family came up and one of her first questions was something along the lines of "Where's that automatic stirring thingy? You need to show everyone that thing, it's awesome"
You know you're a homebrewer when guests in your house ask to see homebrew equipment

How about this one I found myself doing recently. You know you're a homebrewer when you avoid commercial beer with impossible to removable lablels (Im talking to you stone, my label doesn't look as good stuck over yours).

Or your neighbors call the cops & they come over to check out your meth lab...:mad:

I always wondered if this ever happened to anyone lol! Everyone that finds out I homebrew are always like "Don't get caught. That's illegal you know." I always roll my eyes and show them my baggies of priming sugar and hops so they think I sell drugs too lol!

You get giddy when Homebrewing in mentioned on prime time TV (Brooklyn 99, 11/16 episode).

LOL! I noticed that reference. Santiago on why she was late: "My husband brewed a Pilsner lager and it's bottling day." Peralta: "Bottling Day!?! Why did you even come in at all!" My wife and I laughed. :)

How about this one I found myself doing recently. You know you're a homebrewer when you avoid commercial beer with impossible to removable lablels (Im talking to you stone, my label doesn't look as good stuck over yours).

Soaking in Starsan takes it right off

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Soaking in Starsan takes it right off

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Really? I've soaked in pbw overnight with no luck. Same issue with southern tier and a local brewery that use stickers. Such a pain compared to normal labels.

For sure! I think some breweries are using printed computer labels. Dang things must have super glue on'em! Starsan might help get them loose? I'll have to try that on some plain bottles I need to delabel.

Yes but not the new plastic ones. Companies are switching and the new ones are super hard to take off.

Crookes stave has those and some of the most ridiculous adhesive i have seen. A couple hour soak in oxyclean to get the label off and a week soak in oxyclean to get the adhesive off. Works like a charm.

Stone and Southern Tier don't have labels. They're literally painted on. The only way to probably get them off is to start scraping.

Stone and Southern Tier don't have labels. They're literally painted on. The only way to probably get them off is to start scraping.

Soak a few days in diluted star san and wipe with a green scrubby, paint wipes right off

Or just leave them and put the sublimely self righteous clone in that bottle cuz you've drank enough of the real thing to be able to do that.

Jus sayin'.....someone might have that exact situation.... Maybe....

Sent from my BrewPhone using Home Brew, cuz I really didn't want to fire up the computer to post this.

Fair enough BIB. I guess I know I'm a white trash brewer. :) Competitions have zero interest for me, but I have plenty of clean bottles if they ever did. Most of my beer gets consumed with the fam and they KNOW what white trash I is.

Back