Yikes.... Hop crowns were hard to get out of the ground...Did I Kill them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allynlyon

Reaction score
I knew I needed to transplant my hops. When I planted my rhizomes in spring I placed them too close to the house which didn't allow for much air movement. I just dug them up to move them out and wow those little sticks had GROWN! I'm worried I hacked the crap out of them and killed them. The main root split down the middle a little. I went ahead and replanted added bone meal, compost manure, and some fresh soil. I know they can be hardy, but anyone have an experience like this?

Side note-- I didn't move all of them. Once I realized I was botching this I decided to come here and see if there was a better way/if they would make it.

First, pics would be helpful.

Second, hops are VERY hardy, especially the rhizomes and crowns. You HAVE to hack at them if you don't dig out far enough. If they are only first years, you probably set yourself back by a year, but they will still grow. Also, they will probalby shoot from where they were moved from, because they will have sent out small runners underground and they will grow.

Bottom line is, try and dig as far out as you can and still get the crown. You will have to cut the roots. They will be ok.

Back