Yeti Imperial Stout in my new oak barrel - what to add to it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xeerohour

Reaction score
So, I picked up one of the used 5 gallon oak barrels that were being sold here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/used-liquor-barrels-230606/

And now I've got to come up with a recipe to put in it!

Since the barrel has been used once, I'm hoping I could use it for aging for at least a couple months without over-oaking, but I'm obviously going to have to monitor it. Worst case scenario, I can move it to a carboy if it gets over oaked.

I'm going to give the Yeti Imperial Stout clone another shot - it was one of the first beers I made, and I think it had a sanitation issue.

I've snagged the BYO recipe from this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/chocolate-oak-aged-yeti-clone-146843/

And here it is pasted below:

Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout Clone Recipe - 5 Gallon, All-Grain (BYO magazine December 2006)

OG = 1.090
FG = 1.018
IBU = 75
SRM = 98
ABV = 9.3%

- 16 lb. Rahr 2-row
- 1 lb. Crystal Malt (120 L)
- 12 oz. Chocolate Malt
- 12 oz. Black Patent Malt
- 10 oz. Roasted Barley
- 8 oz. Flaked Wheat
- 8 oz. Flaked Rye
- 1.25 oz. Chinook pellet hops (60 min.)
- ½ oz. Chinook pellet hops (30 min.)
- ½ oz. Centennial pellet hops (15 min.)
- ½ oz. Centennial pellet hops (5 min.)
- Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast

- Mash @ 150 Degrees F
- Boil for 60 minutes
- Ferment @ 70 Degrees F

Ok... all that was the preface to the REAL question: what kind of crazy stuff do I want to throw in the barrel to age with it?

I'm thinking most likely I'll add some Vanilla Beans, and I'll probably keep some bourbon in the barrel in the next couple weeks to keep it moist while the yeti clone is in primary.

Alternatively, I'm thinking I could go really crazy, and do something like age it on some raspberries and cocoa nibs - accentuating the sweetness the barrel will give it, and giving it a nice fruity and chocolatey nose.

However, I'm totally open for some more suggestions - I want something unique that really helps the imperial stout roastiness and mouthfeel shine. The only real concern I have is that I need to bear in mind I'm likely to get some sweetness pulled out of the honey liquor that used to be in the barrel, and so it might come closer to an imperial milk stout.

To be honest, I would just oak it. Sure you could add in a bunch of other stuff, but wouldn't you want to know just how well the oak works since it's your first time using the barrel?

I understand... It might be safer to not bother with any other ingredients, but I'm really tempted to just go all out with the new barrel. If I only have a few batches that will get the oak flavor, it just sounds like so much fun to go over the top. Isn't that half the fun of this hobby?

Well, in that case, I think you should just oak it in the barrel. Once it has the flavor you want, rack it into a few carboys or buckets and add whatever specialty ingredients you want. That way you can keep part of it just oaked and still get some with raspberries and chocolate or vanilla beans (or even a bit of all three!)

Latest posts

Back