Yet to Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SYoung1970

Reaction score
My name is Shane ,I live in Monroe ,NC . This is all new to me . That being said I have read , and watched a lot of youtube . Can anyone suggest a first allgrain that is completely wheat free . I do not have celiacs , or a problem with gluten . On wheat belley diet .

Unless you go gluten free, doesn't all beer have gluten? Try a simple easy to drink easy to make cream of three crops. Even you bud miller Coors drinkers will like it.

Welcome! Well, I don't have any idea what the Wheat Belley Diet is, but beer doesn't have any wheat in it, unless you put it there.

I'd recommend any beer style that you enjoy drinking to start with. A nice pale ale or stout, or whatever. The fact is there isn't much difference in difficulty for most beer. AG goes like this:

Crush grain
Mix well with water between 150 and 156 degrees
Let it sit
separate grain from wort
rinse grain with water at 168 degrees
separate grain from wort
combine wort
boil wort with hops for 60 minutes
add additional hops as (if) desired
chill wort to 65
pitch rehydrated yeast or liquid yeast starter
ferment until fermentation is complete and beer is pretty clear
bottle
wait a 3-week eternity
chill and drink beer

Of course there are many different methods amongst that basic description of the process, but most homebrew is made the same way, the only difference is how much of each ingredient you mix into the mash.

My best advice is to either post the beer styles you like and have someone(s) reply back with a known good recipe, or just browse the recipe section and find one that gets high ratings. Most of them have malted barley as the main ingredient with some having roasted barley as well. Just watch out for any recipe that calls for wheat or spelt of any sort.

Thanks guys , gluten is no big deal , it's the genetically altered wheat I'm trying to avoid . I like Red Oak ,New Castle ,Guiness . I was thinking of a Pilsner, but I think they have wheat ?? Maybe something similar thats on the light side for a beach trip .

A pilsner is a lager (generally, although you can use an ale yeast with pilsner malt) and is considered an advanced beer due to the constant low temps they require. Keeping the beer down to about 50-55 for the first couple of weeks and then down to 35-40 for lagering can be difficult unless you have a dedicated fridge or freezer with temp controller on it or other suitable device.

That said, some people manage, and there are several lighter styles of ale that are close to lager in body and flavor, such as a Cream Ale, Kolsch, Blonde.

Again, only beers that are called Wheat Beers have wheat in them, usually. I doubt Newcastle or Guinness has wheat, and pretty much all pilsners are devoid of wheat, unless it's some craft craft beer that adds it to turn a pilsner into something else. I have no idea what Red Oak is, so I can't comment on that.

Another fun fact, only beers brewed in Plzen, Chech. are correctly called Pilsners. Others can claim to be in the Pilsner STYLE, but not actually Pilsners (little perk of creating the style I suppose).

Back