Yet ANOTHER use for brewing ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrm21086

Reaction score
In a quest to continually justify brewing costs to SWMBO, I'm always on the look out for way to utilize my brewing supplies and ingredients in creative ways.

Last night, our medium-haired cat started her twice-yearly hairball extravaganza. Every spring and fall, she gets pretty backed up and loses a lot of weight. The solution is hairball medicine. We were all out, and so I was going to order some on Amazon, thinking it would be cheaper than the store (we have Prime). While researching, I remembered the cat hates the chicken flavored medicine but loves the malt one. After reading the ingredients (mostly mineral oil or Vaseline, and malt extract), it hit me. Why not make my own?

I took equal parts Vaseline and light dried malt extract (unhopped), then thinned it out a bit with vegetable oil. The cat seemed to like it even better than the store bought stuff, and it cost me a lot less!

It still might be hard sell to SWMBO to get that 20 lb bag of Briess DME, though.......

memestache.com_203093_1338339630.jpg

Back