Yet another stupid airlock question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilrascal

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry guys for yet another airlock question. As much as I have read I cant find an answer.

My first batch of beer is an extract kit from Midwest supplies. Their Autumn Amber Ale. I had it one week in the primary. Unfortunately I did not get an OG reading. After 1 week I transferred it to a secondary. Obviously I had some airlock activity at that time. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks in secondary, for a total of 3 weeks now. I was planning on bottling it tomorrow. My question is, there is still some activity in the goose-neck type airlock. Maybe one bubble every 30 seconds. Should I expect to see no activity? I am afraid of bottling, and having bombs.

I took a gravity reading 2 days ago and it was 1.011. The kit says FG should be 1.010-1.012. If I do another reading tomorrow, and it is still 1.011 is it good to bottle despite the airlock activity? I guess I am not sure if once you are at your FG there should be no airlock activity, or is it normal to have some even after fermentation stops.

Thanks for any advice.

Joe

It is not uncommon for my airlock to continue to bubble for at least a week after fermentation is complete, it is from the beer outgassing the absorbed CO2 from fermentation, if it is still a concern for you just let it sit for another week or so to quell those inner worries, then RDWHAHB!

Back