Yet another stuck fermentation(?) post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ianflean

Reaction score
Hi,

Made a stout 7 days ago, OG of 1.061.

Only 10% chocolate / roasted barley in the grain bill.

Used 1 packet US-04.

Racked onto some chocolate nibs in secondary today and SG was 1.024. No bubbling from airlock and krausen had dropped.

Mashed high at 71c.

Is it stuck do you think? Should I re pitch some of the yeast?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's a pretty high mash temp! With the roasted barley you might be at F.G.

Do chocolate nibs contain sugar? If not I'd consider adding a little simple sugar. It might get the yeast going again, but even if it doesn't it'll help a little, although I don't know that it'll really dry it out in a perceptible way unless you use quite a bit.

Hi,

Made a stout 7 days ago, OG of 1.061.

Only 10% chocolate / roasted barley in the grain bill.

Used 1 packet US-04.

Racked onto some chocolate nibs in secondary today and SG was 1.024. No bubbling from airlock and krausen had dropped.

Mashed high at 71c.

Is it stuck do you think? Should I re pitch some of the yeast?

Cheers!

Given the OG, mash temp, yeast strain, and pitch rate, I would say you are going to finish above 1.020. Another week at a slightly warmer temp (assuming you were fermenting around 16C initially) might get you down to 1.022. If that is not low enough for your tastes then make up a big starter of another yeast strain and pitch when the starter is active.

Thanks!

I wanted a very full body so mashed high. It's fine to finish at 1.020 but just a bit afraid of bottling it in a week or so and having bombs.
I washed the yeast cake and put it in the fridge... Would it help to put 40ml or so back in the secondary to help it?

Thanks!

I wanted a very full body so mashed high. It's fine to finish at 1.020 but just a bit afraid of bottling it in a week or so and having bombs.
I washed the yeast cake and put it in the fridge... Would it help to put 40ml or so back in the secondary to help it?

There is little danger of bombs. Adding dormant yeast of the same strain probably won't help. Active yeast have glycogen reserves that help keep them going even in a high alcohol environment. In addition S-04 is not known for fermenting out to low FG.

Ok, I'll leave it a week / 10 days and bottle then. Don't really want it staying too long with 150g cocoa nibs ;)

Would rehydrating and pitching a packet of US-05 help, or just a waste?

Thanks very much for your help!

Would rehydrating and pitching a packet of US-05 help, or just a waste?

Maybe. I don't know if that is enough yeast to do the trick. A big, active starter is the usual prescription, but I've never done it myself. If it was me I would just let it ferment out as much as it can and make adjustments on the next batch. Using more yeast, more oxygen, and a lower mash temp will have a huge effect.

Will put this down to experience. Thanks again!

Back