Yet Another Repitching Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
So I brewed an Oatmeal Stout on Sunday, Sept 5 and pitched a vial of WL Irish Ale yeast. Fast forward to today Sept 9 and still nothing.
Can I pitch a package of Nottingham dry, or whould I be better off pitching some more Irish Ale (my LHB only has Wyeast)?

I think the heat killed my yeast. I ordered from AHS on a Tuesday and I didnt recieve it until the following Monday, so it sat in a warehouse or in a truck all weekend, and temps were around 100F at the time.

Notty should be fine as a backup in an oatmeal stout. Did you do a hydro reading? I only ask because I brewed an oatmeal stout on saturday, and it looked like there was nothing going on except for a trivial amount of nonsense on the top of the batch so I was considering using my nottingham too. Did the hydro first, of course, and it was almost finished. No krausen or anything. But all in all yeah, nottingham should work for your cause. Good luck to you.

There is absolutly nothing going on with mine.
The top is black, no krausen, yeast floaties, bubbles.....Nothing

yeah, that's what Revvy is going to say, but he's going to make it a much longer post and use a lot of bold text and maybe even some italics to get his point across. :D

Yeah, I had to type fast and get it in because he's getting good at copy/paste. He must be spreading his wealth elsewhere.:mug:

I took a hydro reading and there is no change.
I guess my real question is.... Is it ok to pitch Nottingham or should I repitch Irish Ale yeast?

If by "ok" you mean you will still make beer, then yes, it will be ok. :-D

Notty is generally a fine yeast for a stout as long it is not from one of the bad batches of it.

yeah, that's what Revvy is going to say, but he's going to make it a much longer post and use a lot of bold text and maybe even some italics to get his point across. :D

Don't forget the recycled links to his blog post.

To the OP - I'd absolutely repitch. As to whether you use the notty or the Wyeast irish, it's up to you. People have had problems with notty lately, so if you do that, proof the yeast first to confirm its vitality. The smack pack isn't a bad idea though because you'll at least know the yeast is healthy.

Then again, you're supposed to make starters with liquid yeast too, so I would just pitch the Nottingham and call it a day.

+1 to repitching with dry yeast. No use throwing more money at it than you have already.

And make a starter next time.

Back