yet another question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idkid

Reaction score
sorry to those who have to suffer all of my newbie questions...but...
how do you set up the airlock, my local dealer said that i have to put water in it...how does that work...thanks again for the help...

149.jpg

Since Bird's still asleep I'll handle this one. Pop the lid off and fill the cylinder 1/2 way with sanitized water, sanitizing solution or cheap vodka. Put cap back on. The airlock keeps nasties from getting into your wort and also acts as a visual aid in monitoring fermentation activity.

idkid said:
sorry to those who have to suffer all of my newbie questions...but...
how do you set up the airlock, my local dealer said that i have to put water in it...how does that work...thanks again for the help...

No need to appologize. Nobody here came out of the womb knowing how to brew. If you got that impression from anyone here please accept my appologies on their behalf. Anyone who would turn their nose up at a newbie because they are so great and knowledgable is a complete turd! IMHO.

So please ask all the questions you want without fear of reproach.

John

The water just acts as a barrier to air and airborne yeast and bacteria whilst allowing CO2 to escape. It's also a wonderful indicator that your actually making beer rather than sat wasting your time.

On my first brew I came on here and asked a noob panic question. I'd read that much but had forgot what I was supposed to put in the airlock. I realy didn't fancy trawling through the books again to find the answer. HBT helped and no one laughed.

The only thing I would stress is that it is probably best to use cheap vodka in the airlock as opposed to water. I used water for years and just last month found a fuzzy little greenish ball growing in a fermentation lock for a beer that was clearing. now, maybe the lock wasn't properly sanitized, maybe there was something in the water, but from then on I've switched to using "Jenkins" vodka. A lot of work gets put into your beer and if a $6 bottle of vodka removed one possible screw-up from 30-40 batches, that seems like a good investment!!!!

I use sanitizer. You already have it made for your brew-day. Since you have it anyway, it's basically free. Free is good

Back