Yet another portable kegerator build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
There have been a lot of great portable kegerator builds but none would work for what I need. The closest is Suburb's 55 gallon drum build from earlier today. Here were my requirements:

1. Hold a 1/2 bbl (this was my mail goal and where I ran into the most trouble)
2. Not have to lift a 1/2 bbl up into a tall trash can
3. Hold multiple cornies (I think I can squeeze 5)
4. Somewhat portable (doesn't have to be mobile once filled)
5. Small enough to fit in my smallish car
6. Be able to swap kegs without having the ice fall to the bottom (this is a problem with trash cans. There isn't much room to keep the ice in bags with a 1/2 bbl)
7. While I do like the trashiness of the trash can builds, I wanted it to be somewhat presentable in case I was serving at a wedding or more formal event

I'm sure there were more requirements but it's late. The 1/2 bbl was really tough to deal with. I needed that because every year we have a guys' trip and get multiple 1/2 bbls (this is also why I wanted to be able to swap kegs easily). This was really the genesis of why I wanted something portable. I'm getting too old to be pumping a party tap.

Pics coming up...

So far, it's been pretty easy. I meant to take pictures along the way but figured I'd go back and do it. Nothing has been permanently added at this point. I still have a few things to do like finish the trim around the bar top and cut holes for the beer line. The main body is made from two large 45 gallon storage containers. I liked this because it has a big enough footprint to hold a 1/2 bbl (plus 1-2 cornies) or 4-5 cornies but can still be broken down to size of one of the tubs.

I added some wood inside the bottom to distribute the weight of the kegs better. It also makes the kegs fit better because the bottom tapers in some.

I went with 1" foam insulation. I kinda wish I went with 1/2" or 3/4" because it makes it a tight fit but I already had some 1" and wanted it to all be the same. I can always make it smaller or even just leave it out if it's not a hot day.

Below are some inside shots. The 1/2 bbl squeaks in width-wise but there's plenty of room on the sides for ice and at least 1 corny. I didn't have 5 kegs in the garage but I put 4 in and then moved one to the other end. I think I can do 5. Definitely if I took out one of the insulation panels.

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

I was trying to figure out how to attach the top tub but by keeping the insulation a little taller than the bottom tub, the top sits on pretty tight. Plus the weight of the bar top adds more stability. For the bar top, I cut a 2'x3' osb that I had laying around (would have rather plywood but I already had this). I added 6 12"x12" vinyl floor tiles to "class" it up a bit. Then went the toilet flange route for to hold the tower. My tower is a little different because I'm using sewer drain pvc. That's the only 3" they had when I got my stuff. The fittings are a little different but it worked out. I'll post that part of it when I'm finalizing the plumbing.

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

I feel like I'm talking to myself...I just didn't want to have one massive post with everything it in.

Here are the things I have left to do:

1. Attach the vinyl tiles
2. Cut and attach the trim
3. Figure out a drip pan to put under my vent (suggestions please!)
4. Drill hole for beer lines in tub and bar top
5. Possibly drill large hole in bar top so only the top part of toilet flange shows.

Here are a few questions I have...where should I put the tower? In the first pic it's more towards the back centered on the diamond in the middle of the back middle tile. In the second picture it's centered on the bar top.

Since I'll be able to get 5 cornies in this, I'll need to add at least a second tower. Does this change the answer to the above question? How should I put multiple towers? I'd like to have the ability to have 1 or 2 towers on at any time and have it look normal. For this weekend, I only need the one faucet.

Back