Yet another newbie...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidndc

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

My dad brewed a few batches when I was growing up and he seemed to really enjoy it, ever since it's something I've always wanted to try out. Well my little brother was just deployed to Iraq so I figured I'd jump in now, worst case - I brew some nasty beer, but at least I get to spend some quality time with my dad and help him relax while doing something he enjoys with his youngest at war.

I live up in Northern Virginia just outside of DC and work as an IT Manager for a large software company. I'm 31 and happily married, we are expecting our 1st in November, a little boy - can't wait. :rockin: Additionally I have an 11 year old daughter from a prior marriage who is absolutely awesome. She is going to make a great big sister!

Tonight I'm ordering my equipment and I'm going to start off with a Bavarian Hefe Weizen - yeah I know its a summer brew, but I've recently returned from a business trip to Germany and experienced how great these can be - that along with a true Pils - wow!. Since returning I've turned into a total beer snob and have been trying every German import I can get my hands on and enjoying Paulaner Hefe Weizen and Premium Pils (for the brown bottles of course ;) ). One of these days I'll try a Pils, but I've got the impression that these can be a bit difficult to truly pull off, so I'll get a bit of experience 1st before I attempt that.

On my trip I discovered that two of my colleagues are involved in the art of beer making and chatting with them about it is what made me really start to explore it online a bit more. Somehow I came across this site and have been hooked ever since. I really appreciate the community you have here, I've already learned a great deal and I've not even scratched the surface. Thanks to the host and all of the contributions that make this place so great.

I'll be sure to start a thread of my trials and tribulations on this first bash... ;)

EDIT: Well I did it;

You ordered the following items:

Qty 1 Deluxe Starter Kit
Qty 1 Bavarian Hefe Weizen Extract Kit
Qty 1 White Label Making Paper
Qty 1 Small Straining Bag 12" x 19"
Qty 2 The Brew Hauler
Qty 1 21" Stainless Steel Spoon
Qty 1 Nylon Hop Bag 8" x 9 1/4"
Qty 1 6.5 Gal Fermenting Pail
Qty 1 Grommeted Lid For 6.5 Gal
Qty 1 Bubbler Air Lock

Total Goods: $231.51
From Northern Brewer. I went ahead and grabbed a pail too as I'm sure it will come in handy.

Cheers! :mug:

Welcome.

I enjoy a lot of good Weizens. I lived in Germany for 9 years and contrary to popular belief I drank Weizens all the time.

Many people consider it a specialty brew, but it's my main brew year round.

I have Alexandria on my schedule from 8-12 Oct. My wife is planning on accompanying me. If you'd like to get together for a few brews let me know.

Greetings david!

I'm from the general area, live in Frederick, work in Alexandria.

Welcome to the obsession. :mug:

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I'll check the schedule to see if I'm available, things are a bit hectic lately with a little one on the way but it would be great to meet up.

I'm with you on enjoying Weizens year around - but I think for my next batch I'll try something a little more robust for the holidays. Any suggestions? The pumpkin brew sounds delicious.

Thanks again,
David

Thanks for the welcome guys!

I'll check the schedule to see if I'm available, things are a bit hectic lately with a little one on the way but it would be great to meet up.

I'm with you on enjoying Weizens year around - but I think for my next batch I'll try something a little more robust for the holidays. Any suggestions? The pumpkin brew sounds delicious.

Thanks again,
David

Bringing this post back since its my older brother and I just found out he was on this site and never got to welcome him (since he was a registered member before I).

He forgot to mention in his post his nieces and kickass younger brother! :tank::tank:

Bringing this post back since its my older brother and I just found out he was on this site and never got to welcome him (since he was a registered member before I).

He forgot to mention in his post his nieces and kickass younger brother! :tank::tank:

Bumping a two year old post? I thought I taught my little brother better than that! ;)

Ha! As you can see, I'm more of a lurker than anything here. Still very much enjoying the site, but it seems my time is so limited due to work and daddy duties for posting, much less actually brewing.

Once I get over this cold, I plan to get another two batches of EdWort's Apfelwein going - man I love that stuff!

That Pumpkin Ale you brought up for Christmas was amazing! :mug:

Bumping a two year old post? I thought I taught my little brother better than that! ;)

Ha! As you can see, I'm more of a lurker than anything here. Still very much enjoying the site, but it seems my time is so limited due to work and daddy duties for posting, much less actually brewing.

Once I get over this cold, I plan to get another two batches of EdWort's Apfelwein going - man I love that stuff!

That Pumpkin Ale you brought up for Christmas was amazing! :mug:

HA! Bumping posts for a good cause is always worth it!

Wait until the IPA is ready... during bottle I tasted it from the hydrometer and it tasted oh so good.

Back