Yet Another Keezer Build/DIY Guide (GE 7.0 cu. ft)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixthGear

Reaction score
I'm a bit of a lurker on HBT but have learned so much from this community I decided I'd give back by documenting my DIY Keezer build.

I ended up getting the GE 7.0 cu. ft freezer on a black Friday sale for $150, which for me was an absolute steal. It took me quite a few months before I decided to switch from using this as a dual purpose keg chiller and fermentation chamber to full on keezer duty, but I finally pulled the trigger this weekend with some help from my Dad who was visiting for the weekend.

So off we go:

BoKrgpAl.jpg

I chose to use Poplar as the wood for my collar since it was probably the best quality that I could find at the local Lowes. It was roughly $30 for a 1x8x10' board. Since I didn't have a huge workbench to work on, I had to improvise. You'll see that this is a bit of a common trend throughout this build.

ZAicG8Pl.jpg

After creating our makeshift workbench, we set out to get cutting. We did a couple rough placements of the saw at a 45* angle (decided on doing miter joints) to use the least wood possible for each cut. If we cut everything right, we had only ~4.5-5" of wood left. Not a lot of room for mistakes, especially with a $30 piece of wood.

eOfBPHbl.jpg

We realized that we needed a guide for the saw before the blade made contact with the wood, so we rigged some squares up to be level with the square on the wood to ensure a straight cut.

p5sv2VYl.jpg

The guide worked well and we ended up with a relatively straight cut. A small amount of sanding will fix some of the slight waivers that we ended up with along the thin edge.

j9LBpdNl.jpg

Using a similar concept to the first cut. We had to switch cutting sides to make sure we ended up with the right angle on the board.

eccvC45l.jpg

After we made the second cut (long side for either the front or back of the keezer), life was a bit easier because we could use the cut piece to help "jig" the rest of the cuts and not have to make a pile of squares.

0JxoTRAl.jpg

One of the last cuts for the smaller sides.

Xu5SXmwl.jpg

After we cut the boards to shape, we wanted to figure out how to hinge everything together. I decided on going with a dual hinge design to make life easier for working on plumbing and replacing kegs. Since the original lid had a gasket built into it, I needed to add another gasket. I decided on using some weather stripping made for windows that compressed nicely to make a solid seal. Seals were taped into place for all of the test fitting to make sure everything would work before making it permanent.

bwot9yel.jpg

One of the many test fits we did to make sure that this would work. At this point it's all held together by my favorite 3M product: blue painters tape. It's low tack and doesn't leave behind any glue residue which is important for staining and painting in the future. Remember to test fit as much as possible before making things permanent!

WbnK6s6l.jpg

With the test fit complete, we took everything apart and chose the best fitting piece with the best grain and miter cuts for the front. I disassembled my shanks and used the plastic finishing collar to get a rough idea of how I wanted the taps laid out, as well as optimal handle placement.

iSTSxqfl.jpg

After doing careful measurements, measuring again, and then measuring again carefully, we drilled the hole. Hole sizes for shanks are 7/8". We ended up reading the placement in the drill bit case wrong and never looked at the actual bit size to confirm the hole we were drilling. Luckily it was only an 1/8" bigger than we needed, and actually gave us some wiggle room for foam later down the line. To make sure that we didn't ruin the wood on the back side, we placed our leftover 4" piece of wood behind each drill hole.

CFHRhSkl.jpg

The finished product. Poplar is absolutely great to work with and cuts very nicely.

liStxA2l.jpg

Test fitting everything together again with the handle and tap holes in place. Didn't I say test fitting was important?

ynvPVFTl.jpg

Drilled the holes for the hinges. I decided to use the OEM hinges to keep things simple, and since they would be handling the entire weight of the collar.

mtwQkD2l.jpg

We used #10 nuts/bolts as they matched the OEM hinge holes perfectly. In this picture you can also see one of the angle brackets that we used to support the miter joints of the collar. We used 2 in each corner for a total of 8. The collar feels bomb proof with this many screws/joints.

eBEAkyWl.jpg

An outside shot of the re-purposed OEM hinge with new hardware.

q1DWnHKl.jpg

It actually works! OEM hinges showed no signs of stress with the test fit and test opening.

zWBbTgSl.jpg

Different angle showing the collars test fit. Mounting the hinges like this allows me to easily do keg swaps while keeping all plumbing above the kegs.

h6KaVcUl.jpg

It took 2 separate trips to find the right set of hinges for the top portion of the keezer. We ended up going to Menards and found the perfect hinge to complete the task. To match the hole pattern of the OEM top, we had to drill and slightly widen the new hinges with a dremel. Make sure that you have extra grinding stones, as the two hinges essentially ate the bit.

r78Obu4l.jpg

Drilling new holes in hinges to better mount to OEM lid.

0UNEx8Al.jpg

New hinges mounted for a test fit. Unfortunately there is no stop on these hinges to prevent the lid from opening too far. I'm still trying to figure out a simple, yet elegant solution to this issue. For now, I'll keep the lid propped against the wall when I'm working on plumbing to prevent hyper-extension.

gqVux8ul.jpg

Closeup of the new hinges. They are meant for cabinets, but seem like they are robust enough to support the relatively light weight of the OEM freezer top.

With hinges complete, it was time to move on to installing new insulation.

Q4kIgJFl.jpg

Since the OEM lid had a stair-step, we wanted to make sure that there would be a good seal with the new collar. We took measurements with the lid closed on top of the new seals to provide a solid fit.

fuVRwX5l.jpg

To get the clean cuts in the foam pictured above, we used a DIY "hotwire". You can see the difference between a crappy hand cut (left) vs a hotwire cut (right) on the small piece of foam.

With foam cut to fit, we moved on to final (permanent) assembly of the collar.

Xpzd9y5l.jpg

We used blue painters tape again on the outside edge of the joint before gluing to make sure that any wood glue that did seep out from the joint wouldn't ruin the wood for stain in the future.

0VPETigl.jpg

We applied more blue tape over the new gasket to make sure we didn't fuse anything together with glue.

ZnFTTItl.jpg

Just a shot of the amount of glue that was used. You don't need to go crazy with it, but make sure that you apply glue to each side of the joint.

rYw7BbYl.jpg

I used a piece of cardboard from a 4-pack case of Founder's Breakfast Stout to spread the glue out into a nice even layer without bubbles/gaps.

NqbX2JCl.jpg

After fully screwing the joints down, we immediately pulled the blue tape off. We wiped down the joint with a wet (not soaking, you want it damp) cloth to clean off any wood glue residue while it was still tacky.

7DzANMCl.jpg

The finished miter joint. The focus was off in this shot, but you can still see how well it turned out. I'm pretty pleased with it!

At this point, we called it a day and let the joints dry overnight for roughly 12 hours. We started up the next morning with tap installation.

LtNK7Kwl.jpg

After cutting all the foam to size, we devised a way to make sure I could still cover the shanks and keep the foam flush to the wood for the best insulation. We ended up doing a shallow cut with a drill bit the depth of the shank nut to accomplish this.

nhzTuhHl.jpg

After doing the larger partial drill into the foam on the one side, we matched up the hole with a drill bit sized to the actual shank. We drilled through the other side to get a nice clean cut. You can see one of the other cuts splitting this piece into two... more on this later.

S7wzw1gl.jpg

Completed hole for the shank assembly. The foam wasn't the easiest to cut with a drill, but got the job done. It'll be hidden from sight anyway when everything is assembled.

0W9yHJ1l.jpg

Ended up going with all stainless steel Perlick 525SS faucets and cheap black plastic tap handles for now. The build quality on these is amazing.

neIG3ful.jpg

Test fit again to make sure everything lined up properly. Success!

0W9yHJ1l.jpg

Ended up going with all stainless steel Perlick 525SS faucets and cheap black plastic tap handles for now. The build quality on these is amazing.

wipQdZ8l.jpg

Shanks installed before inserting foam.

IiNLlKkl.jpg

Just enough of the tail of the shank sticking out. You can see the slight cut in the middle of the big foam piece, more on this in a few images.

Hjyj04Wl.jpg

Flush fit of the foam against the wood for the best insulation around the shanks/taps.

icuOJoVl.jpg

Cross section of how the foam fits around the shanks. I chose to split this piece of foam in half since I didn't want any of the foam to be permanent. With the precise hotwire cut, we were able to make everything a friction fit. This also enables me to work on the shanks without much mess or fuss.

fF58zlCl.jpg

Foam completely installed.

xEycfXIl.jpg

Closing the lid yields just enough clearance to match the stair stepping and provide a really good seal.

csXrQDFl.jpg

Another view of how well the lid seals on top of the foam insulation.

With the foam insulation complete, it was time to finalize the gasket that goes underneath the collar.

LCYixeUl.jpg

Using a straight edge to prevent "squirms" in the gasket.

SAemzOLl.jpg

To keep the gasket straight, I pushed the gasket against the straight edge and peeled the glue backing off at a 180* angle so I could still keep the gasket flat.

Only a few more things to do after this. Since I'm squeezing 4 kegs into this freezer, I got a 3 tap manifold so I could force carb 1 keg and keep 3 at serving pressure.

BlTrwCjl.jpg

Again, a quick test fit. We used a piece of the remaining poplar to mount the manifold bracket to that would then go through the foam and mount to the collar itself for extra strength.

ccVok0Ul.jpg

We used the drilled mounting plate as a guide to drill through the foam and collar to make sure we lined everything up for it to bolt together easily.

NwBfDSjl.jpg

And the drill through the collar.

AMGitn4l.jpg

Since the overall thickness from collar to mounting plate was just over 4.5", we opted to make our own screws.

zvp8CGJl.jpg

Finished product (close-up)

CCPL63ll.jpg

Zoomed out to show positioning within the keezer. We made sure to leave ample room for tubing running from the CO2 tank to the manifold, and then tubing from manifold to kegs.

ygFRbgvl.jpg

Plumbing run for two kegs.

HruAYm2l.jpg

Final product as it stands. I didn't think I needed a drip tray at the time of ordering the rest of the hardware, and partially regret that now. Using a bucket as a drip tray until I can figure out how to mount the drip tray.

At this point, this is where the keezer stands. There are still some miscellaneous things to accomplish:

- Choose stain for collar.
- Stain collar.
- Choose paint for freezer (thinking black enamel bottom, chalkboard top).
- Paint freezer.
- Finish plumbing for extra two kegs.

Other than that, this thing is about done! Temperature is controlled by a STC-1000 that I previously wired up following another DIY guide.

I hope everyone enjoyed the guide so far. It took about 2 days and roughly 14 hours with all of the test fitting and cutting of the foam taking the most amount of time. I look forward to everyone's feedback and questions!

Fantastic build! This is an excellent write up for would-be DIYers. Great attention to detail through out as well. Was there a reason you went with two layers of insulation inside the collar? I only used one layer and it seems to do a good job. Were you just being extra thorough? Where will the operational resting place for the keezer be? You'll want to bask in its beauty as much as possible once that stain and poly are on that poplar. Rock on!

Fantastic build! This is an excellent write up for would-be DIYers. Great attention to detail through out as well. Was there a reason you went with two layers of insulation inside the collar? I only used one layer and it seems to do a good job. Were you just being extra thorough? Where will the operational resting place for the keezer be? You'll want to bask in its beauty as much as possible once that stain and poly are on that poplar. Rock on!

Thanks! The insulation is actually one thick layer. The two piece layer that I think you are referring to is only on the front around the shanks to make it easier to work on. The foam was split horizontally rather than vertically if that makes any sense.

The final resting place is the garage for now. I'm working on SWMBO to let me keep it inside, but I already have another "cellar" mini-fridge inside.

Looks great! I went with the same freezer for mine, and made a collar from 1x8 too - stained it dark mahogany. Good idea on covering the joints with tape to keep glue from seeping out and messing up the stain - I have a few spots where that was a problem. Only have two kegs in right now, but made a couple nicks for taps 3 and 4.

Can you get 4 kegs in there? The pictures make it look like 2 are in there with just a little room to spare...

tre9er said:
Can you get 4 kegs in there? The pictures make it look like 2 are in there with just a little room to spare...

Sure can! People have fit up to 5 kegs into this type freezer. I think the wide angle lens makes it look like there is less space available than actually is.

Tre9er, this thread was exactly what I needed - dimensions, inner and outer, including freezer hump for common chest freezers, with various options illustrated for different size collars:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/chest-freezer-specs-layouts-377518/index2.html

For example, the same GE 7.0 CF model the OP is using worked for my requirements - be able to ferment two buckets or carboys at once, OR 4 kegs + a 10 lb CO2 canister. I went with 1x8s for my collar so have plenty of height, but there are pics for no collar too.

Slight update. After using the keezer for several weeks, I decided it was time to take it all apart and begin staining/painting everything. This is probably going to be the slowest part of the entire build since the drying times for each coat are 24hrs +.

First coat of a Cabot Cherry Stain, put on by hand with a cloth rag:

iU3Cveal.jpg

Most likely will do 1 or 2 more coats, and then seal with 2 coats of a semi-gloss polyurethane. After the collar is finished, I'll sand down the paint on the freezer and do the top lid in a chalkboard paint with the rest of the fridge in a semi-gloss enamel. I'll be using a product called "Plasti-dip" for all the plastic parts, which is more of a rubberized coating and sticks really well to plastic.

Very nice! Good craftsmanship.

Wonder if you could use some struts like they do on car hoods to limit extension of the top?

hoodstrutkitlarge.jpg

Very nice! Good craftsmanship.

Wonder if you could use some struts like they do on car hoods to limit extension of the top?

hoodstrutkitlarge.jpg

I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know if I could fit it in the collar itself.

Nice job. How about a small length of chain to keep the lid from opening too far?

This will most likely be what I go with, as it's the most simple and effective method.

In other news, collar is done with 2 coats of stain and 2 coats of polyurethane.

I also have the lid painted with chalkboard paint. Just waiting until tomorrow to do a final wet-sanding of the lid and that will be done, and then I do the big task of prepping and painting the entire fridge. It's kinda sucked not having taps to pour my Pliny and summer shandy, so I'm starting to really get the motivation to get this project finished. Pics to come on all of the above tomorrow.

So as promised, my update:

pzAp6TYl.jpg

Collar is finished, 2 coats of stain and 2 coats of polyurethane. Has a nice deep sheen to it without being overly glossy.

QOUoTqNl.jpg

What it looks like on the white fridge without any hardware. Looks pretty good as is!

After admiring my work, I decided to get to it:

Srr0SZhl.jpg

I used two chairs to keep the lid off the ground for this stage. I wet sanded with 220 grit sandpaper and a sanding block to knock the gloss off of the OEM paint. Nothing fancy here.

cdlvMpal.jpg

After wet sanding, I used a damp rag to wipe off the dust. I would reccomend using a good mask as just this phase kicked up quite a bit of dust.

Wk4cBJgl.jpg

After cleaning up and drying everything off, it was time to mask the bottom part of the freezer that will remain the original white.

YSW6LIPl.jpg

Completely masked off and ready to go.

HqSKPhDl.jpg

First coat of the chalkboard paint on. I really wasn't happy with this as it left quite a bit of streaking as visible in the photo. Time to sand and try again.

Q8Qxn4Ul.jpg

Wet sanding with 220 again.

h7YRHMrl.jpg

Did another coat, and had the same 'banding'. Wet sanded again. Featured is my four legged companion... well at least his legs are featured.

FhIAjJDl.jpg

As a side note, I would make sure you paint with a very good mask. This was the overspray that I swept up off the garage floor. This isn't from sanding as wet sanding really helps keep the dust down.

At this point I'm done with the lid. I did another coat that came out ok, but I have a feeling I'll end up going and purchasing the roll-on chalkboard paint as banding is still evident at certain angles. I'm sure that its more noticeable to me and only at certain lighting angles, but I'd like this to look as close to coming from the factory as possible.

On to the main fridge/freezer.

jVugiR8l.jpg

All masked off.

T6c9WoIl.jpg

In case something fails, I wanted to keep the wiring diagram visible. It would be near impossible to peel this off in-tact, so I opted mask over it instead.

iy2wMjhl.jpg

Blue painters tape is perfect for this type of thing.

HLXKeUjl.jpg

Opted to mask only the 'On' light, and paint over everything else so I don't have any white bits left over.

lbmC65Cl.jpg

Wet sanded, cleaned and dried. Ready for paint.

tHEoAmRl.jpg

Painted. Looks good from a distance, but...

VtbGxo7l.jpg

I managed to get too close on the front of the fridge and ended up with a nice long drip line. I was planning on doing a second coat for durability, so it'll be sanded down anyway. It figures that I did the back first and perfectly, and then screw up the front.

8UBMxsyl.jpg

Also had a fly land RIGHT after I finished painting the compressor cover/vent. Oh well. Luckily it wasn't an obvious spot that he landed on.

That's it for now. Paint needs to dry for 24hrs before I hit it with 220 grit and re-coat.

Ended up doing a lot of work over my 4th of July weekend, including a brew day so I'm a happy camper.

Y9XGfMhl.jpg

So after having the run in the paint, I wet sanded all the sides down quite a bit to try and improve the finish. This helped give some depth and make this look a bit more professional than just one coat as well.

cSd4Upil.jpg

The chalkboard paint was fully cured and dried by now as well, and left a really sharp trim line. I think I'll mask everything off again and paint the edge of the seal, as you'll see later on it's pretty obvious when everything is black.

V8nEyGKl.jpg

Sanded and painted all the plastic bits for the hinge covers.

P4Xjjlal.jpg

I used this type of spray paint, as well as a pretty nifty 'spray gun' attachment that made life much easier.

BjQx2e8l.jpg

The back of the fridge ended up the best, so I didn't have to re-coat. Peeled off the masking. Not too bad.

OnnBDgDl.jpg

Hinge covers and all hardware installed.

rcgcp9Rl.jpg

And the final product. Sort of. I still need to figure out some sort of latch system (most likely a chain type system) and find a drip tray that I like and is big enough to fit all 4 taps.

Cheers! Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

eulipion2 said:
Awesome build, looks nice, but can it actually fit 4 kegs? The inside pic with the two kegs looks kinda tight. Or are you thinking four 2.5 gallon kegs?

It will definitely fit 4 5 gal kegs. I think I could even fit 5 if I really wanted to cram them in there. There's a diagram floating around here that shows how many can fit into this freezer, so I know it will work. I think the wide angle lens that I used skews the internal size of the keezer.

Great job SixthGear. I applaud your attention to detail. I plan on building a keezer with the same GE freezer. Two quick question regarding the chalkboard top. Aside from being able to write on the top, is there any distinct advantage for this? How durable is the chalkboard finish?

Thanks for posting.

Great job SixthGear. I applaud your attention to detail. I plan on building a keezer with the same GE freezer. Two quick question regarding the chalkboard top. Aside from being able to write on the top, is there any distinct advantage for this? How durable is the chalkboard finish?

Thanks for posting.

I can't believe I missed this post. Sorry for the 4 month old reply here. The main advantage to the chalkboard top is that you can write what you have on tap very easily. Plus this way SWMBO can do drawings and feel a little better about having the keezer inside ;)

I just went through a move cross-country and the top probably was the most durable part of the entire fridge. The regular paint coating on the rest of the fridge got pretty chipped up, so I'll most likely be fully sanding it down again and this time using a primer first.

Hope this helps!

Hey, awesome keezer!!!! So if this is a deep freeze, how to you regulate the temperature? Is it that this freezer can be adjusted to these temps? Or are all freezers capable of warmer temperatures? Thinking about doing this with a smaller freezer, but I'm just worried about temperature.

It will definitely fit 4 5 gal kegs. I think I could even fit 5 if I really wanted to cram them in there. There's a diagram floating around here that shows how many can fit into this freezer, so I know it will work. I think the wide angle lens that I used skews the internal size of the keezer.

I loaded 4 kegs in to my keezer for the first time a few days ago. I have the same freezer as you. 4 do fit but man, they are tight.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/what-i-did-beer-today-294038/index543.html#post5734270

Like the one on the bottom right of the pic is a little wedge in. I need to find a 4 1/2 gallon ball lock ;)

Very nice I'm getting ready to try and make one from the same size freezer.

Back