Yet another Keezer. 7.2 cu. ft. Kenmore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drksky

Reaction score
I was inspired by the many keezer build threads here, so I though I would share mine.

My awesome family bought me a kegging kit for Christmas and since to put a keg in my food fridge means I would have no room for food, I decided to do a Keezer.

Right after the holiday, K-Mart had a sale on the Kenmore 18702, $20 less than the sale Sears was having on the same model (odd), plus I found a $25 off coupon.

I like the look of the designs with a hardwood "sleeve" that fits around the freezer body, so I decided to do the inside box with 2X10 dimensional lumber faced with 1X12 oak for the sleeve.

First impressions: dimensional lumber sucks for anything other than building walls or roofs. I ended up straightening the edges with a table saw and probably should have run the 2X10's through a planer as well.

Pics below:
Instead of corner brackets, I used Kreg pocket screws to put the box together.
c9i7.jpg

Test fitting the inside box to the freezer.
zxxq.jpg

Test fit with the oak sleeve in place.
atod.jpg

Stained and poly'd with manifold and insulation installed. I had originally attached the oak to the collar with finish nails, but got nervous about how well they'd hold so I added stainless carriage bolts.
ubny.jpg

Lid attached to collar and two Perlick 525SS taps installed. I elected to not glue the collar to the freezer, instead just using thick weatherstripping and the weight of the collar to hold it in place.
9yi1.jpg

Another angle. I don't like the whiteboard on top. Still looking for another solution.
dz71.jpg

Inside. Currently only have two kegs with anything in them and a 3rd batch fermenting. Should be room for 5 with one on the hump and some rearranging. Need a better fan mounting solution.
9ng6.jpg

Temperature controller is an STC-1000 and a single split outlet installed in a Rat Shack project box. One side of the outlet has constant power for the fan, the other side is for the freezer. Nothing hooked up for heat.

Aside from the crappy dimensional lumber, everything worked out great. I can't see myself needing more than five taps for the foreseeable future, so I should be good to go for a while. Although, I might get a 5.0 freezer later on for a fermentation chamber. One thing at a time.

Ok. Why aren't my images showing? They're hosted on Flickr.

*shrug* Moved the images to Imageshack and they work fine now.

Back