Yet Another first brew tasting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba_Mustafa

Reaction score
Well I finally tried my first brew, a BB Red Ale.
Made mistakes on it. (got drunk brewing. My rule now is no drinking until the 15min hops go in :drunk: )
Didn't aerate the wort (even siphoned it into the fermenter. Though I did use an IC wort cooler, one plus)
Broke my hydrometer while cleaning up before I got the OG (but being an extract kit, figured I was pretty close)
Fermented too warm ~75 ambient
Racked after 6 days or so.

4 Weeks later I bottled, sat for 3 weeks @70ish
Tossed a few bottles in the fridge for a couple weeks and tried it today.
It carbed.
Not too bad. Not sure if I'd buy a second 6 packer, but drinkable.
Has the off flavors I'd expect. A bit dry, and little nose. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, and could use more hops on both ends. And feel color is a bit off (but what does a color taste like? :) )
No real head retention (but I don't care much about that. Whats the attraction? More nose?)

But I'm happy the first round was OK. Kinda gives the initiative to keep going.

I agree. My first batch was nothing to write home about. I believe it was mostly due to the fact that I scarfed it down way too early. But I was happy about having made my first beer, and I was excited to keep going as well.

Congrats on the first brew. Sounds like you already have lots of good ideas for making your next batch better. I'd say of everything you mentioned, fermenting at a slightly lower temperature would, by far, make the biggest improvement. Keep going!

Yeah, just getting the spare fridge online. (well more the temp cotroller)
Other batches are already in the works (been doing 1 gallon batches until I find my groove)

Biggest b*tch I have about brewing/testing/playing is the 2 months between making and trying/testing.

Latest posts

Back