Yet another Carolina Brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KX4SAM

Reaction score
My first post here. I have been reading "How to Brew", and just ordered a Carboy, Carboy brush, and a Air Lock.

Why did I start? 10 year ago a trip to Germany and I fell in love with wheat beer.

I am back over in Germany now, and decided if I can't bring it home, I will learn to make it.

JMSelzer on BBQ Brethren sent me your way.

Just brewed 10 gal. Split into 5 with American wheat 5 with Weiss yeast. Yum can't wait to compare the yeast profiles. Welcome from Cary nc

ncbrewer said:
I hope you'll report back after the taste comparison. I'd really like to see what you think.

Will do. Been doing that a lot recently. Split the wort into 2 kettles use diff hops same yeast. Or split to two carboys same hops diff yeast. Trying to isolate the flavors of each particular item in the things I use frequently. It is often interesting.

Checking in with results. Underestimated brewhouse efficiency a bit and made some strong Weiss and am wheat. Still amazing the differences in the two beers. Weiss is very banana clove. The am wheat is fairly plain. It is surprising how much flavor the yeast adds. Thinking about dry hopping some lemongrass in the am wheat keg now that I have compared the two. I do a lemongrass wheat that is nice. Adds a nice aroma. Fresh cut grass and citrus.

Where in NC are you? I'm in Asheville and am a very experienced homebrewer if you ever want to meet up and brew together.

Welcome , .. I also fell in love with Hefeweiss (sp?) beer when i lived in Germany in the late 80's.. i wish you could share some of that lemongrass wheat beer, sounds good.

im in Chapel Hill but my soul hangs out in Linville (Gorge) NC when im not abusing it ;)

I'm in Raleigh. Lucky you to be in Asheville. One of my favorite places for beer and food. Can't wait for Sierra to be built. I try to go out that way once a year or so to do some tasting.

I'm in Greenville, and It isn't so great. I had to drive 1.5 hours both ways to get ingredients today in Raleigh. On the side, American Brewmaster is an awesome LHBS!

edds5p0 said:
I'm in Greenville, and It isn't so great. I had to drive 1.5 hours both ways to get ingredients today in Raleigh. On the side, American Brewmaster is an awesome LHBS!

That one in downtown gville close down?

No, they just are not open during times that I can get there, like Saturdays.

Back