Yest starter Hassle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roycebarrow

just getting by, one beer at a time!
Reaction score
Man, I have been wanting to put time into making a yeast started but it looks like so much additional work on top of the whole brew day. I found this link
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=20692.0

and it has pretty much confused the **** out of me. Every video I watch says " let it sit for 15 minutes, stir let it sit for another 15 and youre good. This goes into sitting anywhere from 24 hours to 4 days.

The threads are great, but at times there is excessive information out there. The only time I have an issue, which is not really an issue. is when I use Wyeast cultures. I know they will kick off within three days like clockwork if not the first.

What are some common things other brewers do for starters? Looking for some explained advice that could be helpful, other than just tribal knowledge. Thanks!

I can understand your need to do yeast starters since the Jeff Albeertsons on HBT harp about it all the time. I myself have specifically not done a yeast starter due to the PITA nature of it. I do however act based on the spirit of the brew nerd and since I make smaller batches I have only one time performed the evil alchemy of the liquid yeast one pouch pour.

All kidding aside that one pouch pour beer didn't turn out perfect. It was a steam beer and it came out decent, but not quite what I was looking for. I used the slurry to make an awesome Oktoberfest, but I digress.

I don't ever want to make a yeast starter, but if you do, then get the gear and give it a try. Any yeast starter will be better than dumping in a smack pack. There are some distinct advantages to being a starter guy. I say get on that train if you have the proclivities. Just promise me you won't turn into a Jeff Albeertson.

what I like to do is pull about 1.5 qts of wort out of the kettle after 10 min into the boil. Then chill and pitch liquid yeast. This is a vitality starter and only takes a 2qt mason jar as extra equipment. Bonus- when you fill the CLEAN jar with hot wort it's sanitized. I do have the luxury of letting my wort settle for 4-6 hours after chilling and by then the starter is rolling,and I pitch the whole thing.

After countless batches, I did a yeast starter last week for the first time, and I'm a convert for life

I found it really painless and easier than I though it would be, that being said- I do have a stir plate.

The only thing that was a hassle for me was the cooling of the wort, as I didn't have ice on hand, so it took longer than expected

2 L of water to 200 grams of DME, mix, boil for 30min, cool, pitch, sit on stir plate overnight till you're ready to pitch after flameout- super easy

I can understand your need to do yeast starters since the Jeff Albeertsons on HBT harp about it all the time. I myself have specifically not done a yeast starter due to the PITA nature of it. I do however act based on the spirit of the brew nerd and since I make smaller batches I have only one time performed the evil alchemy of the liquid yeast one pouch pour.

All kidding aside that one pouch pour beer didn't turn out perfect. It was a steam beer and it came out decent, but not quite what I was looking for. I used the slurry to make an awesome Oktoberfest, but I digress.

I don't ever want to make a yeast starter, but if you do, then get the gear and give it a try. Any yeast starter will be better than dumping in a smack pack. There are some distinct advantages to being a starter guy. I say get on that train if you have the proclivities. Just promise me you won't turn into a Jeff Albeertson.

For you AZCoolBrewer, I promise haha. no idea who jeff albeertson is but ill check it out.

what I like to do is pull about 1.5 qts of wort out of the kettle after 10 min into the boil. Then chill and pitch liquid yeast. This is a vitality starter and only takes a 2qt mason jar as extra equipment. Bonus- when you fill the CLEAN jar with hot wort it's sanitized. I do have the luxury of letting my wort settle for 4-6 hours after chilling and by then the starter is rolling,and I pitch the whole thing.

this makes sense. I will try this out this weekend. Thanks:mug:

After countless batches, I did a yeast starter last week for the first time, and I'm a convert for life

I found it really painless and easier than I though it would be, that being said- I do have a stir plate.

The only thing that was a hassle for me was the cooling of the wort, as I didn't have ice on hand, so it took longer than expected

2 L of water to 200 grams of DME, mix, boil for 30min, cool, pitch, sit on stir plate overnight till you're ready to pitch after flameout- super easy

seems easy enough but I do have a question, is this for all grain or extract? This was one of my concerns that pitching an additional 2 liters of dme into the wort will change the flavor? not sure if so, then by how much? but this is how I see a lot of people doing it online. Thanks for the info:mug:

seems easy enough but I do have a question, is this for all grain or extract? This was one of my concerns that pitching an additional 2 liters of dme into the wort will change the flavor? not sure if so, then by how much? but this is how I see a lot of people doing it online. Thanks for the info:mug:

All grain and to be a bit clearer, the 2 Liters was for about 15G, yours would probably be smaller if you're doing 5g. Perhaps something like 1L to 100 grams dme , or even smaller. The more viable yeast cells you've propagated, the better the fermentation. The gravity should be about 1.036, which will help to minimize what you're describing.

If you use light DME, any changes to the recipe in terms of flavor/ color will be minimal and you'll probably wind up with a cleaner beer.

I think It's worth the extra 15-25 min the day before brew day

All grain and to be a bit clearer, the 2 Liters was for about 15G, yours would probably be smaller if you're doing 5g. Perhaps something like 1L to 100 grams dme , or even smaller. The more viable yeast cells you've propagated, the better the fermentation. The gravity should be about 1.036, which will help to minimize what you're describing.

If you use light DME, any changes to the recipe in terms of flavor/ color will be minimal and you'll probably wind up with a cleaner beer.

I think It's worth the extra 15-25 min the day before brew day

good stuff, thanks. Always something new to try with this so called "hobby"

I've gotten where I cheat on this some. A few days before brewday, I put a gallon of spring water in the fridge,350g of dme into a sanitized glass gallon jug with about 750ml of cold filtered water, swirl until mixed and put it in the microwave until I get a slight boil. I pull it out, fill a second sanitized glass gallon with half of the cold spring water and add half of the dme mixture, a little bit at a time, swirling as I go. I then slowly add the other half of the cold water to the first jug, about 8 oz at a time, swirling and pausing so the temperature of the glass can adjust to the temperature of the contents. *Do no temp shock the glass or it will break*!!!
Once finished, I have ~3.5l of starter that I let ferment for 2-3 days. I pump a little O2 in them, shake like hell, pitch half my pack, shake like hell and wait. After a few days, I decant off the starter beer, no crashing because bacteria lives in everyone's refrigerator. I combine them into one jug.
I'll pull wort 5-10min I to the boil and chill. Then do a vitality starter.
I do 12g batches by the way.
Also, I usually save a small jar of yeast from the starter to start over with. Just be sure to vent it a couple times over the next week or so, as I have had lids swell and yeast leak into the fridge.
Hope that all makes sense.

Latest posts

Back