yes or no to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobitti

Reaction score
Yes I know there are umpteenmillion posts on weather or not to secondary. Looks to me like only if you are going to add some fruit or wood etc. I brewed a milk stout almost 3 weeks ago. I want to add in some additional vanilla beans and coffee to the mix. I'm thinking I can do this without actually transferring to a secondary and then hitting the carboy with a CO2 blast after I break the seal and add in the extras. Any words of encouragement or WhyTF are you doing that....will be appreciated....

i changed to no secondary a while back...will never go back...

Secondary is unnecessary. Even when adding fruit. I added some mango in primary, & my mango ipa came out just fine. I would add the vanilla beans & the coffee in primary. Just sanitize everything, & throw them in like you would dry hop. As long as you sanitize, you will be fine.

Secondary is unnecessary. Even when adding fruit. I added some mango in primary, & my mango ipa came out just fine. I would add the vanilla beans & the coffee in primary. Just sanitize everything, & throw them in like you would dry hop. As long as you sanitize, you will be fine.

Unless the volume of the fruit won't fit in the primary. I use Better Bottles and once adding oak chips, it filled the Better Bottle almost full. Fruit would take up more space. I used a bucket the time I added 6 pounds of blueberries.

Unless the volume of the fruit won't fit in the primary. I use Better Bottles and once adding oak chips, it filled the Better Bottle almost full. Fruit would take up more space. I used a bucket the time I added 6 pounds of blueberries.

Filling the Better Bottle to the top by adding oak chips is fine. Fermentation has stopped so there should be no new krausen to spill over. Fruit is a different story.

Stopped using secondary for beer years ago no matter what I add. The only side effect of that change was better beer!

Latest posts

Back