Yes, apfelwein can have krausen (it is German afterall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
Just made my first batch with apfelwein.

Came home the day after pitching to find that krausen had definitely formed, and was now comming out the top of the airlock.

The only deviation from Edwort's recipe was using unfiltered juice for 3 of the 5 gallons (I wanted the glass jugs for fermenters), and the subsequent addition of pectic enzyme. I also added yeast nutrient to try and ward off the sulfur stink.

Now, Im guessing that the reason why ed isnt getting krausen is that he does not add all this stuff, ergo, im thinking it was one of these three things that caused the krausen.

I just wanted to give anyone trying this recipe with unfiltered juice a heads up.. luckily I didnt have a) a carboy bomb, or b) a blown airlock with apfelwine krausen all over my bathroom.

word to the wise.... apfelwein can have krausen.

Now the rhino farts start... im worried the blow off got rid of all of my yeast nutrient.

I never expected it NOT to. My apfelwein was on a blowoff tube for about a week, and I used the recipe listed in edwort's post, even the same brand of juice.

Is it possible to use a different yeast on the Apfelwein recipe? Wyeast and Kitzinger are the 2 most common here - they carry the whole stock of different wine yeast but I haven't been able to track down the Red Star one...

I never expected it NOT to. My apfelwein was on a blowoff tube for about a week, and I used the recipe listed in edwort's post, even the same brand of juice.

I only mentioned it because just about every apfelwein thread, including the original recipe thread, states explicidly that "apfelwein does NOT have krausen [so fill up that carboy]."

Is it possible to use a different yeast on the Apfelwein recipe? Wyeast and Kitzinger are the 2 most common here - they carry the whole stock of different wine yeast but I haven't been able to track down the Red Star one...

yes, but as edwort says, "it wouldnt be my recipe anymore." Do a search, there are a ton of threads about variations etc. I just thought I was safe since I really didnt change the recipe, just used unfiltered juice... but apparently that made all the difference in the blow off.

Latest posts

Back