Yerba Mate kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totes

Reaction score
Hey All.
I haven't heard much about Mate kombucha in a while, so I started a new thread.
I just made a batch with raw mate and it may be my favorite taste. I used a LOT of tea, the color is quite dark but the flavor mellow and is very quaffable. Kind of earthy, a hard taste to describe, I wouldn't guess Mate' had I not known.

If you haven't tried it I would recommend a go.
If you have brewed with mate I would like to hear your tasting notes.
:mug:

Hi! Thanks for starting this thread! How much Yerba would use for a gallon batch?

I did 4 tablespoons raw Yerbe mate, 1 cup cane sugar per gallon.
Full boil, tea and sugar at flameout. Removed tea bags 8 hrs later. Bottled after 3 weeks.

notes: I did 3g batch, tasted great after 2 weeks, let it go 3 because I like vinegar notes. Bottled in swingtops still, no priming or back sweeten. They have not carbonated at all so fermentation was complete.
My five gallon batch is now complete and still in the bucket. I did 2/3 mate and 1/3 standard green tea. I think I like batch 2 slightly better. Going to carbonate batch 2, I will post about that later.

Been kicking around the idea of making a yerba mate mead, still debating how strong I want to go on the yerba, but it's not an issue as I always have some on hand, I buy a couple kilos of loose leaf ym at a time :cool:

I wonder how much residual caffeine is left from using the Mate, since it has a much higher caffeine content when compared to other teas at ~100mg+ per cup. I'm curious if the SCOBY still would break most of it down, or if the batch would remain partially 'caffeinated' when compared to Green/Black Tea Kombucha.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've recently experimented with brewing Kombucha with Honeybush Tea, a cousin of Rooibos that has a sweeter honey-like aftertaste in comparison. This slight honey flavor carried over in a very subtle manner to the finished Kombucha, which might not be noticeable if you're not looking for it. That said, I can tell the difference when comparing it side-by-side with Green Tea Kombucha, as it has a slightly earthier and every-so-slight residual sweetness in the aftertaste.

Back