Yellow Tettnanger Hop Leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCougfan97

Reaction score
So I have two second year hop plants growing in Seattle, Willamette and Tettnanger. I recently repotted them from about a 7 gallon pot to 22, each. They get a suprisingly good direct southern exposure and have about 25'-30' to grow vertically. I am noticing the Willamette has done nothing but grow like crazy, current height is about 15', and its growing inches by the day. The Tettnanger however has grown marginally in the 2 weeks since being replanted and the leaves are notably more yellow than those of the Willamette. My girlfriend is a green thumb (according to all the women in my family) and she says its fine, since its getting the same sun and water as the Willamette and the leaves are no more "dead" or "Browning around the edges" than the Willamette.

Anyone have experience with these varieties and know if this is a disease, malnutrition or just normal for the "Marine type climate" with some slightly unseasonably warmth/sun?

The first image is the Willamette
The second is the tettnanger
The third is both side by side, the lighting is a little uneven as the sun is just rising here in seattle (when I took the pic)

WP_000524.jpg

WP_000523.jpg

WP_000525.jpg

They both appear to be slightly nutrient deficient. Are you feeding them anything?

Due to their very rapid rate of growth they require regular feedings. Miracle grow is good and so is fish emulsion and they can be fed once per week.

Also, they will not tolerate wet feet and need all day sun. If the plants are excessively moist they will suffer and exhibit the signs you are seeing.

Also, just because they are both hops does not mean they will act the same as they are different varieties so you really can't compare one to the other and expect them to behave identically.

They both appear to be slightly nutrient deficient. Are you feeding them anything?

Due to their very rapid rate of growth they require regular feedings. Miracle grow is good and so is fish emulsion and they can be fed once per week.

Also, they will not tolerate wet feet and need all day sun. If the plants are excessively moist they will suffer and exhibit the signs you are seeing.

Also, just because they are both hops does not mean they will act the same as they are different varieties so you really can't compare one to the other and expect them to behave identically.

So 1 scoop of Miracle grow goes into a gallon of water. I cant find any information how much do you actually put on per plant? Do i dump the entire 1 gallon for each plant? I have two first year plants that are really stunted and yellow green, and the 3rd one of the first years which is my cascade is like a rocketship(probably 20 feet tall now) and its side arms are actually probably as tall as the other two plants.

Last week i just used one gallon of MG(24-8-16) and split it between the 3 plants because i was worried about burning the plants and i cant find any information about how much to use per plant, and a gallon of water seemed like a ton i didnt want to rot the rhizome....

Someone mentioned that wood can sap nitrogen from the ground, so it got me thinking because where the two yellow plants are is where i pulled out moderately sized bushes only weeks before the rhizome planting and just cut back a lot of the roots with a hacksaw because they were so entrenched and i didnt want to damage my sprinkler lines, so theres probably quite a few largeish roots still down there. The cascade that is taking off like a rocketship was the one plant not put over top of where there was a bush, so the theory holds some merit in my mind?

All 3 plants get the same sunlight and same watering schedule from my sprinklers, so i dont think those two are overwatered.

Do 1/2 scoop per gallon, mix well and dump the whole gallon on each plant. Skip additional watering at that time.

They are both being fed an organic extended release fertilizer, I had read over fertilizing will cause problems so I was under the assumption the packages recommended amount of time release fertilizer over a 3 month period would suffice. Does anyone know a good way to gauge moisture both need and current state?

They are both being fed an organic extended release fertilizer, I had read over fertilizing will cause problems so I was under the assumption the packages recommended amount of time release fertilizer over a 3 month period would suffice. Does anyone know a good way to gauge moisture both need and current state?

Sometimes the slow release programs are not all they are cut out to be, especially if there has been abundant watering or excessive rainfall as the nutrients disappear quicker. In addition, organics are not always what they advertise.

Yes, you can over fertilize but Miracle Gro is a pretty tame product and you would really have to go crazy to over use it. I feed my hops once every week until they begin forming cones using the recommended mix without any issues.

As for moisture, simply use a stick and poke it a few inches in the ground. If it comes out wet or damp there is adequate moisture, if dry-water. You can also purchase a moisture meter at the big box store if you want to be more scientific, me, I just poke my finger in the ground:D

Sometimes the slow release programs are not all they are cut out to be, especially if there has been abundant watering or excessive rainfall as the nutrients disappear quicker. In addition, organics are not always what they advertise.

Yes, you can over fertilize but Miracle Gro is a pretty tame product and you would really have to go crazy to over use it. I feed my hops once every week until they begin forming cones using the recommended mix without any issues.

As for moisture, simply use a stick and poke it a few inches in the ground. If it comes out wet or damp there is adequate moisture, if dry-water. You can also purchase a moisture meter at the big box store if you want to be more scientific, me, I just poke my finger in the ground:D

Do you use Super Bloom or things like that after cones start forming? I've heard really good things about it. Just not sure when to do it in the cycle, does putting it down before flowering cause more cones to form, or do you just put it down after cones are flowering to get bigger yield?

Once cones begin forming I don't add anything.

From a fertilizer standpoint, they will generally produce vegetative growth, once comes form you want the plant to focus on their production solely.

Not sure what a bloom booster might do to come production.

Once cones begin forming I don't add anything.

From a fertilizer standpoint, they will generally produce vegetative growth, once comes form you want the plant to focus on their production solely.

Not sure what a bloom booster might do to come production.

Apparently the high phosphorus content in Bloom Booster fertilizers(usually like 10-60-10) stimulates more flower growth and larger flowers.

I cant find the thread now that discusses it, but if you search for it and hops on google its fairly well known in Hops "illegal" brethren circles it seems on their hydroponics forums.

Back