Yellow Spots on Hop Leafs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barhoc11

Reaction score
I am trying to handle this before it gets potentially worse. Anyone know what could be causing the yellow spots/lines on my Cascade plant? The cones all look good so far but are not ready do pick. This is a first year plant so cones are not huge and the bines are about 10 feet tall.

1tWiBT1.jpg

I am trying to handle this before it gets potentially worse. Anyone know what could be causing the yellow spots/lines on my Cascade plant? The cones all look good so far but are not ready do pick. This is a first year plant so cones are not huge and the bines are about 10 feet tall.

1tWiBT1.jpg

Those look like viral symptoms.

I got some iron to add to the soil and some slow release fertilizer, going to see if that helps. Thanks for the replies

I got some iron to add to the soil and some slow release fertilizer, going to see if that helps. Thanks for the replies

Those look to be fairly older leaves that are being afflicted, and if so I highly doubt your issue is due to iron deficiency.

In most cases, micronutrient deficiencies are found at the growing point of the plant. Whereas macronutrient deficiencies are found on older/basal foliage.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Probably nothing. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see it spread. You can always remove the affected vegetation. Hops are VERY hardy; have a brew and forget about it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Probably nothing. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see it spread. You can always remove the affected vegetation. Hops are VERY hardy; have a brew and forget about it.

It's unfortunate that you think that. Much like animals or human, once a plant has a virus, it HAS the virus. It is systemic.

There are very few patrons here who likely have the facilities or the patience necessary to recover unaffected tissue and then regenerate an entirely "new" plant.

If that last comment was also in regards to plant nutrition, it's also a shame that you think that. Hardy or not, health is important in all aspects of growth and development, especially in a perennial crop like hops.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I agree that a virus is a virus. The cure for a systemic virus is completely removing the affected plant and burning it to avoid contamination. I don't think that's called for at this point.

I tried some treatments hoping it would help the yellowing of the plant but it doesn't seem to have worked. I did get some cones on this first year plant and they seem healthy and smell good. Now my question is, if I cut everything back to the ground in preparation for next year, will I have this virus in the spring? Is there anything I can do to salvage this plant and not need to start over with a new rhizome?

There's a bunch of different types of viruses out there that cause different problems for the plants. Some can reduce vigor quite a bit while others just cause some cosmetic damage like is shown on yours. If it were me, I'd let it go for another year or two and see what happens as I've got a few with similar problems that still produce very well without the problem getting any worse.

Latest posts

Back