Yellow leaves sprouting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johngaltsmotor

Reaction score
I've got a bunch of 4th year plants. Hallertau, Mt Hood, and Zeus are doing fine. But my Nugget are sprouting as yellow leaves and withering almost immediately. It keeps popping up new shoots, but the leaves are already yellow.

The only thing I can think is maybe the Nugget didn't get as good of a mulch cover and the hard winter has somehow hurt it to the point of sending out bum leaves from the start?

I'm starting to get worried now that everything else is 2ft+ and the Nugget doesn't have a single viable bine yet.

Thanks Halifax.
The concern is: they are all in a line about 8-10ft on center, so why would only the one have an issue? I could possibly see that this one is in a bit of a valley compared to the others (more likely to be continually moist), but we haven't had much rain lately. Plus the soil contours are the same as last year and this is a new occurrence.
I'll try to remember to grab a pH meter next time I'm at the garden supply.

Diagnosing plant problems is a real challenge, especially without any pictures and more importantly without being able to be on site. There could be many below ground physical variables that may be at play unless you know as a fact that there aren't. With this thought in mind, you have to take into consideration how deep the roots will potentially travel into the soil so knowing what's below is pretty much an unknown unless you're willing to dig, dig, dig until you can find where the deepest root terminates.

Just suppose that you DO know what's below in the soil and determine that there's no problems there. Now you have to look for other similarities/differences and keep ruling things out. I don't know about the cold tolerance that each of those varieties posess, but I would bet that they all had to try to survive an exceptionally cold winter. Maybe the Nugget is less cold hardy than the others? Lots of detective work involved here so sorry, that's all I got.

Latest posts

Back