Yellow color in sugar and mineral boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DickSledge

Reaction score
I'm making a hard seltzer based off the AIH White Claw clone instructions. Brought 2 gallons of water to a boil, added 4 lbs of dextrose and minerals (magnesium chloride, magnesium sulfate, and baking soda) and boiled again for five minutes. At the end, it was yellow.
What happened? Did I caramelize the dextrose? Was there some reaction from the minerals? Is my aluminum pot contaminated?

Not sure about the color. It could be caramelization. Did you remove from the heat before adding the sugar?
Aluminum chloride has a yellow tint, but I doubt your kettle would add enough aluminum to cause that. Nothing else jumps out at me.

Their kit is garbage because it doesn't provide yeast nutrient. You should add some Fermaid O.

Not sure about the color. It could be caramelization. Did you remove from the heat before adding the sugar?
Aluminum chloride has a yellow tint, but I doubt your kettle would add enough aluminum to cause that. Nothing else jumps out at me.

Their kit is garbage because it doesn't provide yeast nutrient. You should add some Fermaid O.
The AIH instructions said to simmer it for five minutes after adding the sugar, so that's what I did. Well...actually, I think I full-on boiled it for another five minutes, so yeah. I probably caramelized it. That one got dumped.
And I wish I would have paid closer attention to your comment about the yeast nutrient. My next attempt had a non-starter fermentation. The yeast struggled and died, leaving a rotten egg smell behind.
Seltzer was supposed to be easier than beer... :mad:

Back