Yech!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackJaqueJanaviac

Reaction score
I just took a sample of my latest batch before kegging and I'm not impressed.

This was the one I had thought I underpitched when the gravity was still at .030 after 1 week in the primary. I racked it and it fermented vigorously for another week.

This has a distinct "clove" taste or whatever you'd call it. It's the same taste I get from some Belgian wheats. The problem is there is no wheat in it and that is precisely the reason I don't like Belgian wheats.

I hope it goes away after sitting in the keg for a while.

Clove usually comes from your yeast and not the wheat (think of the difference between an American hefe and a German hefe). What yeast did you use?

nottingham.

I have read that this yeast strain is "clean". Well I can say at lower temps maybe, at 65F ambient and above, not so much. I actually use notty in a wheat beer and get a nice balance of bannana and clove flavors when fermenting at higher temps. Did your temps swing to the high side?

I'm sure my temps were on the high side. My basement is at 70*.

I just took a gravity reading and it is .020 too high. Perhaps I should not have kegged it yet.

Do I:

Transfer it back into the carboy?

Leave in the corny keg and just relieve the pressure every day or couple times/day.

I'm sure my temps were on the high side. My basement is at 70*.

I just took a gravity reading and it is .020 too high. Perhaps I should not have kegged it yet.

Do I:

Transfer it back into the carboy?

Leave in the corny keg and just relieve the pressure every day or couple times/day.

You don't need to relieve the pressure. It may be done, but maybe not. The keg can take a LOT of pressure, though. Let it be for a couple of days, then take a sample. If it's no lower, it's done.

UPDATE.

Well the SG doesn't seem to be going anywhere. After some time in the keg it is still at 1.020. I refridgerated one of the kegs and sampled some last night - still YECH.

I should add that it has a very fruity aroma. And the clove seems more like an aftertaste (if it is indeed clove).

The recipe is:

9#s Pale Ale
1# Crystal 60L
1 oz hops at 60 min
1 oz hops at 5 min

Yeast was recovered Nottingham from a previous batch. I've been doing this for quite a while with the yeast and have had good results.

I am thinking of transferring all of it back to the secondary and pitching some fresh Nottingham in it. What say you?

Oh I should add that the hops were home-grown. They are NOT "wild". I just don't know what variety they are. The previous homeowner was a homebrewer and started them. He must have dug them up to take with and what I have are remnants of what got left behind.

They smelled and tasted just fine before adding - so I don't think it is any strange variety.

Clove can be had from an unhealthy yeast and underpitching. Racking when the beer wasn't done probably didn't please the yeast. I got clove/earth/nutty from Nottingham once when they had quality control issues. Not saying your original packet was bad, but maybe the slurry you used wasn't the healthiest thing around. I got it recently from US-05 when it was fermented cool.

Well, I transferred it from the keg back into the carboy and pitched more yeast with a tablespoon of sugar. It's been bubbling steadily for four days now. About a bubble every 6 seconds.

Do I just wait until it quits bubbling?

Well, I transferred it from the keg back into the carboy and pitched more yeast with a tablespoon of sugar. It's been bubbling steadily for four days now. About a bubble every 6 seconds.

Do I just wait until it quits bubbling?

This question is the proverbial "Stepped in dog poo." question...

The ONLY way to know what is happening with a fermentation is with a hydrometer reading. The beer is all done fermenting when you get 3 identical readings over 24-36 hours, there is no other way to know.

Latest posts

Back