Yeasty taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotland

Reaction score
Hi all, Iv done about 4 extract ale kits so far, and every one has had a very yeasty bread taste and smell, iv kept my temps between 18 and 20 degrees 2 to 4 weeks in fermenter, and had them in bottles for about 2 to 4 months and they all have the same taste and smell any ideas why this is? Cheers

Hi all, Iv done about 4 extract ale kits so far, and every one has had a very yeasty bread taste and smell, iv kept my temps between 18 and 20 degrees 2 to 4 weeks in fermenter, and had them in bottles for about 2 to 4 months and they all have the same taste and smell any ideas why this is? Cheers

Could it have gotten too warm after you bottled it? It sounds like a type of oxidation that can happen if the beer gets too warm and reacts with the 02 in the headspace.

I dont bottle but I would make sure you purge the bottles with CO2, if possible and store the bottles somewhere cool, if not in the fridge.

David

If it is truly yeast that you are tasting, you could add gelatin to the beer a couple of days before bottling, that helps some of the extra yeast settle out.

Your process looks good, and it seems you have waited plenty of time for the yeast to clear. I'm assuming these are getting a week or weeks of fridge time to drop the yeast in the bottle? How good are you at trapping the yeast in the bottle as you are pouring them out?

I found that cold crashing my fermenter before kegging (or doing the same with a keg and then dealing with the first cloudy pitcher or so worth of beer/yeast at the bottom really helped avoid the yeasty flavor some of my beers had when young.Dont worry the beer will still carbonate in the bottles just fine as long as they are stored in a warm enough place.
The idea is to get the yeast to drop out of suspension in the beer.... of course without enough time in the fermanter some yeasts wont have time to "clean up after themselves" which also give the flavor you describe.(2 to 4 weeks should be plenty but if you fermented in very cool temps the yeast works very slow)

Iv done coopers irish stout, muntons contential pilsner, St peters ruby red, coopers real ale, just used yeast that came with kits,all started roughly where they should of and finished from 1010 to 1014, iv sampled them straight out the fermenter they have a yeasty taste then which never goes, never tried cold crashing or gelatin, after being in house temps carbonating, for 2 weeks have put them in the garage which is cold, could it be I'm leaving them in primary to long? Could secondary ferm help?

I would suggest trying some different yeast strains. Coopers makes an okay yeast, but there are better ones out there. For dry yeast, try Nottingham or S-05.

Just want to make sure you are leaving almost all of the yeast in the bottle when you pour, or of course it will taste yeasty (which I'm sure is obvious).

Back