Yeasty IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timo944

Reaction score
I tried my first all grain 4 weeks ago - BIAB IPA. I used the recipe from Brewing Classic Styles and came up with similar results to the DME version - OG of 1.068 and final of 1.018 after 2 weeks fermentation. The DME beer was great - a real hit at a party we had - but the BIAB beer is not good. I had only allowed ~12 days for fermentation since I was headed for vacation. I kegged it, out it in the fridge, set the pressure and left. Getting home a day ago, the beer is not good. It’s quite yeasty, covering up the other flavors. It’s also quite opaque. The first pint had solids at the bottom of the glass and looked like soup. Subsequent pours (3 of them) have cleared a little but still the taste isn’t good. I’m wondering if it’s under-fermented? Is there a possibility to set it back in the fermenter, at 70 degrees, and hope that it will ferment some more?

Two weeks is more than enough to fully ferment most beer styles.
Seems you're battling yeast bite and just need to let the keg rest a bit so the yeast drops and can be finally drawn off.
You could accelerate that with gelatin or another fining agent...

Cheers!

I tried my first all grain 4 weeks ago - BIAB IPA. I used the recipe from Brewing Classic Styles and came up with similar results to the DME version - OG of 1.068 and final of 1.018 after 2 weeks fermentation. The DME beer was great - a real hit at a party we had - but the BIAB beer is not good. I had only allowed ~12 days for fermentation since I was headed for vacation. I kegged it, out it in the fridge, set the pressure and left. Getting home a day ago, the beer is not good. It’s quite yeasty, covering up the other flavors. It’s also quite opaque. The first pint had solids at the bottom of the glass and looked like soup. Subsequent pours (3 of them) have cleared a little but still the taste isn’t good. I’m wondering if it’s under-fermented? Is there a possibility to set it back in the fermenter, at 70 degrees, and hope that it will ferment some more?

The fact that your beer had reached 1.018 from 1.068 and that it had had 12 days for fermentation say that your beer is done. However, just how much will it cost you to take it out of the refrigeration unit an let it set at 70 for a few more days? It isn't likely to make a difference but why not try it?

The fact that your beer had reached 1.018 from 1.068 and that it had had 12 days for fermentation say that your beer is done. However, just how much will it cost you to take it out of the refrigeration unit an let it set at 70 for a few more days? It isn't likely to make a difference but why not try it?

Thanks for the replies. My concern with bringing it back to fermenting temp is the chance of contamination during transfer etc, plus the headache. Given the choice between waiting it out and trying to do this I'd take the former.

Something I thought of after I posted: When I had kegged the beer, I noticed it was still quite active in the fermenter - not unlike champagne, quite a few bubbles coming to the surface. In my haste I chose to ignore this. It looked like the fermentation was pretty active - about 2" of crud in the bucket above the water line. Anyway I guess I'll wait it out for now.

Thanks for the replies. My concern with bringing it back to fermenting temp is the chance of contamination during transfer etc, plus the headache. Given the choice between waiting it out and trying to do this I'd take the former.

Something I thought of after I posted: When I had kegged the beer, I noticed it was still quite active in the fermenter - not unlike champagne, quite a few bubbles coming to the surface. In my haste I chose to ignore this. It looked like the fermentation was pretty active - about 2" of crud in the bucket above the water line. Anyway I guess I'll wait it out for now.

You have it in a nice secondary, why transfer it anywhere. Take the keg out of the keezer and let it warm up for a few more days, then put it back in.

Ok I see what you mean. I can figure out an airlock. I’ll try it
Since it's already pressurized, I wouldn't open it up and try to put an airlock on it. Just leave it sealed. No harm, and you'll avoid all sorts of trouble.

Going forward, some suggestions, based on my limited experience:

Make sure you get a good hot break and a good cold break; they seem to help, quite a bit.

Also, if it were my choice, I'd rather have it in a fermenter an extra week, than bottle/keg too early...especially when it is visibly obvious that it is still fermenting.

Finally, it pays to cold-crash a couple of days before bottling/kegging - I've seen it do wonders for a beer.

I hope this helps -

Ron

Since it's already pressurized, I wouldn't open it up and try to put an airlock on it. Just leave it sealed. No harm, and you'll avoid all sorts of trouble.
Seriously. I hope you get to read this before you do anything. There are threads on here describing cornys foaming over when they've been opened after pressurizing. It has happened to me, and it's a pain to clean up and a shame for all the lost beer.

Just did and point we’ll taken. I was wondering about the logistics :). And thanks Ron for he advice. I won’t be in such a rush next time.

Back