yeasty foam in FV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndavies86

Reaction score
im currently brewing a canadian blonde lager kit and primary is well under way, i was just thinking though, all that yeasty foam that gathers round the edges isnt actually in the liquid anymore, is it a good idea to scrape it up and put it back in the liquid? Cos surely that would mean its gna ferment more thorough?

Any advantage would be outweighed, for me, by opening the fermented and letting in oxygen (and airborne wild yeast.) The oxygen will react with the beer and overtime create an oxidized off-flavor. Generally, I leave things alone as much as possible.

im currently brewing a canadian blonde lager kit and primary is well under way, i was just thinking though, all that yeasty foam that gathers round the edges isnt actually in the liquid anymore, is it a good idea to scrape it up and put it back in the liquid? Cos surely that would mean its gna ferment more thorough?

that "yeasty foam" is remnants of high krausen or healthy yeast now dried. your just looking for a way to infect your beer
did you take a gravity reading?

Ive got an OG of 1048 but thats the only reading i took, so theres no point giving it all a slosh then?

just leave it there

Back