yeasty beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brx123

Reaction score
hi..i have a very strange flavor in my beer...it is a double ipa but from the aroma i get a very strong yeast aroma and the foam is not disappear even after half hour on the glass...could be an infection? isn't there's no bacteria can survive in a beer with an IBU more than 25? last time i have a gushing beer also but from what i know gushing is caused by infection..how this could happen?

isn't there's no bacteria can survive in a beer with an IBU more than 25? last time i have a gushing beer also but from what i know gushing is caused by infection..how this could happen?

That's not true - wild yeast, bacteria and other contaminants can definitely do their work in beer with 25 IBU or more.

hi..i have a very strange flavor in my beer...it is a double ipa but from the aroma i get a very strong yeast aroma and the foam is not disappear even after half hour on the glass...could be an infection? isn't there's no bacteria can survive in a beer with an IBU more than 25? last time i have a gushing beer also but from what i know gushing is caused by infection..how this could happen?

Hi and welcome to the forum!

3 likely causes for your problem spring to mind

1: Infection (lots of bacteria and yeasts can live in and metabolism the sugars on other yeast byproducts in beer)

2: Bottling prior to the completion of fermentation will result in over carbonated beer and/or gushing beer. A lot of yeast in suspension so I guess "yeasty flavor" would be present. i don't know.

3: Adding too much priming sugar at bottling will result in over-carbonation gushers/bottle-bombs.

Your off flavor cold be a result of a myriad of things before during or after the boil or during fermentation. Hard to say with the little info. No help there I'm afraid:(

Back