Yeasts worth harvesting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skw

Reaction score
I'll be visiting the USA (California) for a couple of days soon, and am wondering if there are any bottle conditioned beers with otherwise unobtainable yeast strains. I have the sterile equipment to transport it back home, I have done that before. I'm not much into Belgians, Saisons, Brett or Lacto, though, so that take some off the table. Are there any bottle conditioned Stone beers on the market right now? Is Rogue's beard yeast worth the trouble? Any other good "house yeast" I should know of?

Darn. A look at the Stone web site reveals that their next "enjoy by" IPA is going to be unfiltered, so perfect for yeast harvesting - and it's being released two days after my return flight. :mad:

meh, im pretty sure stone uses the chico strain anyway so I wouldnt bother with it

rogue's yeast is available from wyeast if I remember right. Its called Pacman

One that I see people harvesting is Bell's yeast from their unfiltered Oberon wheat ale

Other than that, all that comes to mind are the bunch of unfiltered Northeast IPAs. Everything else I can think of is Belgian style or available from major yeast makers

Back