Yeasts for Dry stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolvinMaine

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to brew a dry stout this weekend, and looking at my yeast stores, I have a few choices. I have tried WLP 004 in the past for oatmeal stouts, but I don't think it will get dry enough with that. I have a vial of WLP 006 Bedford Ale, which I believe is the yeast used to brew Youngs. It looks like it is a high attenuator from the White labs website, but I have not had any experience with it. Anyone have any success with this strain for dry beers? I also have 04 and 05, and notty on hand, but after hearing about the problems with Nottingham, I may just avoid that yeast. Thanks.

Notty's currently on a recall. I'd stay away from it at the moment.

A specific batch is on recall, not every packet they have produced:

We have done some internal quality checks that have shown that a higher than normal percentage of Nottingham yeast in 11 gram sachet packs from batch #1081140118V (expiration date of Jan. 2011) exhibit slow fermentation characteristics.

While this is not affecting the majority of packages from this batch, as a safeguard we would like to replace sachets of this batch of Nottingham with new inventory from a different batch. If you have any Nottingham yeast with this batch number, please return it by mail to: Lallemand Inc.
Attn: Marie Coppet
6100 Royalmount
Montreal, QC, Canada
H4P 2R2

We will replace each sachet sent along with extra sachets to compensate you for postage costs. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your support. Should you have any questions, please contact our Montreal order desk by e-mail at [email protected] .
Keith Lemcke
Danstar Yeast Sales

I made a coffee stout with s-04 and it ended up pretty dry. Around 1.017 from an OG of 1.76. :)

A specific batch is on recall, not every packet they have produced:

Not saying that every batch is bad, just that you have a slightly elevated chance of getting a bad one at this particular moment in time.

Which brings me back to my original statement, "I'd stay away from it at the moment".

Back