Yeasts and lipids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Likefully

Reaction score
I think the more scientific brewers understand that lipids are important for yeast health. I read somewhere that one way to prevent an excess of lipids being extracted from the mash is to not take the very last last runnings.

So is it worth taking those last runnings and using them in a yeast starter because they are likely to have a good portion of lipids in them?

not sure why there would be a higher concentration of lipids at the end as opposed to the beginning of of the lauter, maybe someone here does know?

From what I know, take it as you will :) The lipids are most prevelent in the unfiltered wort. When you drain your first runnings the wort contains grain husk material and this is where the lipids come from. The process of vorlaufing reduces these lipids in the wort. You do also get some lipids in the last part of the run-off, which is why you stop pulling wort once it hits a certain gravity.

From what I know, take it as you will :) The lipids are most prevelent in the unfiltered wort. When you drain your first runnings the wort contains grain husk material and this is where the lipids come from. The process of vorlaufing reduces these lipids in the wort. You do also get some lipids in the last part of the run-off, which is why you stop pulling wort once it hits a certain gravity.

Ah, ok thank you. Maybe i misunderstood the article. I think it actually said don't tip out the mash tun to get the last bit of wort left as then you will get too many lipids.

So then is it worth dipping a cup into the mash tun to get lipid heavy wort for a starter? There are essentially two parts to the question:
a. will you get more lipids if you do that (dip a cup)
b. will a solution with a higher concentration of lipids produce a healthier yeast starter?

ah, ok. in my case i recirculate the whole time so i guess this applies to non recirculating mash?

Ah, ok thank you. Maybe i misunderstood the article. I think it actually said don't tip out the mash tun to get the last bit of wort left as then you will get too many lipids.

So then is it worth dipping a cup into the mash tun to get lipid heavy wort for a starter? There are essentially two parts to the question:
a. will you get more lipids if you do that (dip a cup)
b. will a solution with a higher concentration of lipids produce a healthier yeast starter?

I would think that if you are trying to get the last bit of wort out of a mash, ie Last runnings the gravity is going to be too low for proper yeast growth. Hence the reason why when you make a start you want to get the gravity near 1.030 to 1.040. So there is enough sugars for the yeast to eat and reproduce.

Latest posts

Back