Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frosty56

Reaction score
So this coming weekend we are gonna make 20 gallons of cider of which I'll turn 10 into the good stuff..

Last year I used champaign yeast and it was like I assumed and was ok, but wasn't as good as what I was hoping for. Which ale yeast has everyone use and what were your thoughts?I'm looking to change it up a little.

In the mean time I will wonder through the forums and see what I can find. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I like using Nottingham, fwiw. At the top of the cider forum is a sticky thread about cider and yeast experiments, lots of good info.

I think the yeast is generally less important than your temp (ideal for the yeast you use).

It also depends on what you like as far as sweetness. Since they all run dry, some backsweetening and carbonation is necessary for my tastes.

I used EC-1118 and it turned out really well last year, finished at 1.01 so it has a little leftover sweetness. But apparently that yeast is supposed to finish dry so I'm not sure what happened. Used the same this year but its still fermenting, smells good though.

This is my first time using EC-1118 for cider. Cursing - I hate this yeast. I left 2 liters of headspace in my demijohn and it's blowing krausen out through the airlock. 2 liters headspace was always enough for Kitzinger's, then add 2 more liters of juice after krausen rise and fall the next day.

Damn this yeast.

Back