Yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tahoetavern

Reaction score
Newby seeking knowledge. will be starting my first batch in about a month. I want to make the most of my time till then. could I start making a yeast starter now? Will storing it longer before I pitch, yield more yeast? Or is there a time limit for making an storing yeast? Any knowledge will help. I Apologize in advance if I this seems like a stupid question.

Ideally u want to make the starter 12-18 hours before u pitch. This ensures its at high krausen and the cell count is really at its best. If ur brewing around 3pm on a saturday, i'd start it around 730-8 on Friday night adnnd let it work overnight. Thats assuming ur using a stir plate. Otherwise u could give it some more time if ur just give it a swirl here and there. U don't wanna store it for more then a day or two though.

I don't think making your starter then trying to store it is a good idea. For one thing the yeast will start dying off so you won't have as much yeast to pitch as when the starter finished.

Check mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com and determine the method you will use for the starter. The you can determine how long it will take for the size you need. Then work backward from brewday to decide when to start it.

Yeah.... I would not make it far in advance just because you are antsy. 2-4 days is probably ok, but don't make it a week ahead of time unless there is a reason why you have to.

Also, as you mention this is your first batch, are you using liquid or dry yeast. If it is dry yeast, you don't do a starter at all.

Also, as you mention this is your first batch, are you using liquid or dry yeast. If it is dry yeast, you don't do a starter at all.

Great advise! I missed that, just assumed liquid yeast.

For dry yeast you should re-hydrate. It is a different procedure than making a starter.

Just tire of waiting. In getting the northern kit. Not sure if I'm gonna get the deluxe or not. I'm going to build a stir plate. From what I have read using liquid yeast is more fresh? Thanks for all the help. I should have done this years ago...

Back