Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its02003

Reaction score
As i read more and more i see people saying that part of the reason they leave the beer in primary for 3 weeks or secondary for 2 is to allow the yeast to fall out of suspension. But i also see plenty of people talking about bottle conditioning. Why do we want the yeast to fall out of suspension if we need it to metabolize the primer to create carbonation?

I just finished brewing an oktoberfest from a kit made by brewer's best. The thing sat in primary for 2 weeks and the yeast was DEFINATELY not out of suspension.

Is there supposed to be yeast in the finished, bottled product???

I seem to be reading this and understanding it conflictingly.

This current recipe is too late to change but the pumpkin ale i have in the works i would like to have the bugs worked out of before i go and make it.

I would prefer a product that is pretty clear in the end and i am trying to figure out how that happens when the yeast needs to ferment in the bottle.

because even after 3 weeks, theres a ton of yeast still in suspension, more than enough to carb your beer.

If you don't let a lot of it fall out, you get cloudy beer, sometimes with a pronounced yeastie flavor or aroma.

what you've got to understand, and just take it as a fact, is that yeast will reproduce to a population of the correct size to eat the amount of available sugar.

so you only need a little tiny bit of yeast in each bottle for carbonation to happen. you want to minimize the sediment that'll form in the bottle...the more sediment, the more beer you have to waste to avoid pouring the yeast into your glass.

Latest posts

Back