Yeast won't start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodder2831

Reaction score
So I made a Black IPA from Midwest Supplies. The OG is a little lower then what was expected on the recipe card. I pitched the White Labs yeast as it stated on the vial but I didn't make a yeast starter from it which I should have I am kinda kicking my self in the ass for that. But its been almost a week since I brewed the beer and nothing has happened. I read up on little tricks to try and kickstart the yeast like putting it in a warmer temperature room and shaking the carboy to try and re activate the yeast like and with no success. So I am pretty much stuck with this batch and I have one more trick to try before I dump it. I want to pitch more yeast to it and see if it will take off from there. Which theorically it should work my only problem with that is the only home brew store out here carries Wyeast and not White Labs. I have a conversion chart on the strands of yeast that are the same between both companies my question is are the strands really that different between the companies and will it be safe to do that without destroying the taste of beer or am I up the river without a paddle. Let me know if you know any tricks or know about the yeast strands to tell me if I should combine the two companies.

A yeast starter when using liquid yeast is a MUST. Either get some dry yeast and pitch that or make a yeast starter with some liquid yeast to try to get it going. I'm sure the OG isn't too low for yeast activity.

Before you take any action at all, get a gravity reading. That's the only way to really know what's been happening.

If it's still at OG, rehydrate and pitch a "rescue" packet of US-05 or BRY-97 then ferment at 64-65*F.

So I don't know what happened but now it's going to make a fool out of me cause I woke up this morning and it is bottling and fermenting without a problem now, it only took one week to do so. Hopefully everything turns out fine with it. Thanks for the advice and help though.

So I don't know what happened but now it's going to make a fool out of me cause I woke up this morning and it is bottling and fermenting without a problem now, it only took one week to do so. Hopefully everything turns out fine with it. Thanks for the advice and help though.

No worries. It sounds like you are seeing this as the learning experience that it is. Your beer is fermenting and life is good. :mug:

Back