Yeast without washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breweringbeaz

Reaction score
Last week tried another method of harvesting yeast. No wash just raked beer off of primary left some beer- swirled it up and filled up 3 sanitized mason jars. After a few days the layers haven't formed in the same way as yeast washing. Yeast and trub appear somewhat in suspension together. The yeast is Conan and is for a batch this weekend. Thinking of decanting a portion of the trub from the jar and making a 1 liter starter or would I get the same results to just dump trub and yeast into new brew or get fresh yeast. Others Experiences would be great

That's how a lot of folks do it and usually how I do it. Just dump in what you need. I make a starter if it sits in the fridge more than a few weeks.

Don't worry about trub, it won't hurt and studies have shown it contains a lot of yeast and contains a lot of beneficial nutrients, lipids, etc. Rinsing is a waste of time and possibly harmful to the culture.

If I plan on using the yeast shortly after I just dump it straight from the jar without washing or doing a starter (check Mr. Malty to get pitching rate right, there are settings for slurry and its thickness). I haven't had any ill results. I've also just dumped a new beer onto a yeast cake without washing and got great results too.

I see no error in your ways

I tried the newer method like you did and I just couldn't get a feel for it so I went back to the old way, I don't find it that problematic and it gives me something to do. I've just become accustomed to seeing nice clean yeast in a jar without all the gunk but to each their own. I've also started making larger starters and pouring some of that yeast off into jars and just saving it that way. I'd use what you have so your not introducing the opportunity for an infection then just go back to the way you feel comfortable.

if you are making starters, jsut harvest your yeast from the starter. Make slightly larger starter than normal, and save a bit of the decanted slurry. You get cleaner, healthier yeast, with no trub, and it hasnt been exposed to hop compounds

Back